• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SmeyersNation

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A user on my website bought Items with a supposed stolen credit card that he took from I am assuming his mother. The bank issued a charge back through PayPal months after the purchase leaving me to pay this all back. Not only am I pretty much being forced to pay back the 430 dollars he stole but I may also need to pay 420 more for charge back fee's. Should I, an innocent person be held liable for a child who stole his mothers account. And can I request that the child have charges pressed on him for theft before the money is returned.

I sent this to PayPal.. Am I correct on this?
I would also like to note if the information was genuinely stolen, I am assuming by the card holders son/daughter. That the thief be held accountable for their own actions and should be made to pay this back, and/or have legal action brought up against them properly in a court of law.

They need to take responsibility for theft because I am sure that is illegal and anyone else would be held accountable and made to not only pay this back but may also face jail time and/or probation.

I deem that it is only fair. I should not be the innocent one paying for the guilty ones crime.

-- end

The bank and PayPal are still working on the case and no ruling has been made yet, Needing advice

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A user on my website bought Items with a supposed stolen credit card that he took from I am assuming his mother. The bank issued a charge back through PayPal months after the purchase leaving me to pay this all back. Not only am I pretty much being forced to pay back the 430 dollars he stole but I may also need to pay 420 more for charge back fee's. Should I, an innocent person be held liable for a child who stole his mothers account. And can I request that the child have charges pressed on him for theft before the money is returned.

I sent this to PayPal.. Am I correct on this?
I would also like to note if the information was genuinely stolen, I am assuming by the card holders son/daughter. That the thief be held accountable for their own actions and should be made to pay this back, and/or have legal action brought up against them properly in a court of law.

They need to take responsibility for theft because I am sure that is illegal and anyone else would be held accountable and made to not only pay this back but may also face jail time and/or probation.

I deem that it is only fair. I should not be the innocent one paying for the guilty ones crime.

-- end

The bank and PayPal are still working on the case and no ruling has been made yet, Needing advice

What do you think Paypal are going to do about it? They're still investigating, and they're not the ones who would request that charges are filed to begin with.

SmeyersNation

What do you think Paypal are going to do about it? They're still investigating, and they're not the ones who would request that charges are filed to begin with.
From my understand PayPal is going to look at all the stuff that I sent them, About 21 screen shot of all the items purchased that verifies all items were sent. From there they will send it all to the bank. From there the bank will decide in favor of either me or the Child/Child's Mother. My worries is why should I be responsible for a child stealing the mothers credit card. I am going to need to pay an extra $420 for all the charge backs 21 in total and $20 for each. The cost of the items he bought together are 435.35 and with the charge back fee's being $420 I would need to pay back 855.34. I find this really wrong that a child can do this and get away with it. I think he should be taken to court and have charges of Credit card fraud. I should not be held liable for this in any way in my opinion

Proserpina

From my understand PayPal is going to look at all the stuff that I sent them, About 21 screen shot of all the items purchased that verifies all items were sent. From there they will send it all to the bank. From there the bank will decide in favor of either me or the Child/Child's Mother. My worries is why should I be responsible for a child stealing the mothers credit card. I am going to need to pay an extra $420 for all the charge backs 21 in total and $20 for each. The cost of the items he bought together are 435.35 and with the charge back fee's being $420 I would need to pay back 855.34. I find this really wrong that a child can do this and get away with it. I think he should be taken to court and have charges of Credit card fraud. I should not be held liable for this in any way in my opinion

You need to wait to see how the credit card reacts. It's going to take awhile though.

single317dad

If the transactions were eligible for Seller Protection, then you as the seller won't be liable for any loss as far as Paypal is concerned.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-learn-more

The card issuing bank, however, is not bound by that agreement. You can argue that your business is not with that bank, that your business is with Paypal and any interaction with the bank is Paypal's problem (exactly what they advertise, in fact). In any case, prosecution for fraud or theft would be initiated by the bank and the local police, not you or Paypal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">