• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens when a seller on eBay doesn't accept to give you a refund?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Satycorn

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to eBay but I know about it's policy, that when you get your item damaged or different than the description, you should contact the seller and open a case if you don't arrange anything.
My question is, if the seller and the buyer live very far from each other and the item comes damaged. The buyer wants to get a refund but the seller totally ignores, he opens the case and eBay/Paypal gives a refund to the buyer. But what happens to the seller? Do they ever take any money from him? Where does eBay/Paypal give the refund from?
It's really confusing and I'd be grateful if anyone would help.
Thank!

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to eBay but I know about it's policy, that when you get your item damaged or different than the description, you should contact the seller and open a case if you don't arrange anything.
My question is, if the seller and the buyer live very far from each other and the item comes damaged. The buyer wants to get a refund but the seller totally ignores, he opens the case and eBay/Paypal gives a refund to the buyer. But what happens to the seller? Do they ever take any money from him? Where does eBay/Paypal give the refund from?
It's really confusing and I'd be grateful if anyone would help.
Thank!
The money returned to the buyer comes from the seller. Why, did you think eBay or PayPal covered those losses? They're a venue.

Satycorn

The money returned to the buyer comes from the seller. Why, did you think eBay or PayPal covered those losses? They're a venue.
What if the seller just takes the money that the buyer sent to his account and doesn't reply to the case? How does eBay get his money?
I'm in a similiar situation, that's why I asked.

What if the seller just takes the money that the buyer sent to his account and doesn't reply to the case? How does eBay get his money?
I'm in a similiar situation, that's why I asked.
PayPal will get their $$, either from the seller's PP account or the seller's bank account. If the seller doesn't cooperate, then they end up with a suspended account and can't use PP. :cool:

jiggy78

Of you have closed that bank account then paypal will begin collection attemps and if that doesn't work they can sue. Won't that be fun.

Satycorn

If I sue the seller how will Paypal give me the money back from him? Wont it cost a huge amountof money to me to proceed with the whole sueing process?
Is there any way Paypal can use his address provided in the eBay/Paypal page or not?

jiggy78

Clearly explain what is happening in your situation. You will get much better answers then throwing out hypotheticals.

Satycorn

So basically, I bought an item from a seller, it was at a reasonable price but the seller had 0 feedback, I was tight on money so I found this a good deal. I received the item damaged and not working and now the seller refuses to refund me. I opened a case for him and it's the 4th day and he still hasn't replied.
Just hypothetically, (the following might sound dumb, but it's hypothetical), if he had on the bank account ONLY the money he get from my purchase and spent ALL of them, what will happen if I win the case and he refuses to pay? Does ebay/paypal track them down to their home or what?
Sorry for the possible ignorance, it's just that I'm irritated.
Thanks!

jiggy78

You opened a case with paypal? Did you make the purchase through ebay/paypal? If you win your claim against the seller then paypal will refund you. They will go after him but that's not your concern.

FlyingRon

The question is how did you pay?

Admittedly the BEST way to pay is via Paypal using a credit card (rather than your bank account).
If so, you first wait for Paypal to repay you and if that doesn't work protest with your credit card.
If you paid by a credit card other than through Paypal, contact your credit card.
If you paid any other way, you're screwed and your only real recourse in most cases (unless we're talking very large amounts or very local sellers) is to let the ebay procedure run it's course.

Satycorn

Okay so let me explain it better.
I payed with paypal, which is linked to my credit card.
The item arrived damaged, and I already have opened a case in eBay and I'm following that procedure, I didn't know you could complain with Paypal as well. Is there much to do now?

Okay so let me explain it better.
I payed with paypal, which is linked to my credit card.
The item arrived damaged, and I already have opened a case in eBay and I'm following that procedure, I didn't know you could complain with Paypal as well. Is there much to do now?
Read the Support pages for eBay and PayPal. That should answer all your questions about the process and procedures. :cool:

Satycorn

Actually I read most, if not all of the eBay support info that was provided, but I wanted to know if I will be able to open a Paypal case now that I've opened this one in eBay currently and if this ends in seller's favor?
Also just out of curiosity, how will Paypal go after him and get the money from him?

Actually I read most, if not all of the eBay support info that was provided, but I wanted to know if I will be able to open a Paypal case now that I've opened this one in eBay currently and if this ends in seller's favor?
Also just out of curiosity, how will Paypal go after him and get the money from him?
All that information is available on PayPal's website. You can read both the seller and buyer instructions. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">