• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why does eBay get away with this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dk1967

I've been both a buyer and seller on eBay for over ten years. I just discovered via eBay's forums that the next time I sell something and receive payment via PayPal, they will hold my money for 21 days, or until positive feedback is left (I've also read that all the buyer has to do is say they aren't happy with the transaction and you don't get your money at all).

I understand that this must be legal in some screwed up way, but what I do NOT understand is, how can it be legal for them to do this without fully disclosing this information somewhere prominently for all potential sellers to see? Go to eBay's Seller pages and see if you can find where they explicitly state they will hold your money for 21 days and what the exact circumstances are resulting in this action. (Please don't tell me you found it easily by typing "holding payment for 21 days" in the search bar...if a potential seller doesn't know the policy exists then they certainly can't type that in the search bar.) I have NEVER received an email from either eBay or PayPal informing me of this policy.

The same can be said about their DSR scam. On the Help page it clearly states "Detailed seller ratings don't affect a seller's overall Feedback score, but we take these ratings into account when we evaluate sellers to see if they're eligible for discounts and other benefits." When I read that, I said "oh, okay..." and thought nothing more about it. Nobody said, "But wait, there's more!" The truth is, you can have 100% positive feedback but if your buyers give you low stars (which they do for sheer enjoyment) eBay will suspend your account. That's a far cry from supposedly not having an effect on your account!

And finally, I just discovered (again, thanks to the forum) that eBay has "downgraded" my status to "Standard"; I only have 500 transactions but I don't have a single negative/neutral (again, I received no email notifying me of this downgrade). The speculation among us small sellers is that they are planning to continue to demote our statuses until we all reach a "punishable" level.

Again, its not that they're doing it, its that they're not telling us they're doing it. I've filed a complaint with the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection but I doubt it'll do any good...

If nothing else I'd just like to know how they can implement a 21-day payment hold without warning you about it first...???

Another happy ebay customer. What did ebay say when you complained about it? Nothing I assume.

Stop dealing with ebay is my advice. Sounds like you are a bad ebayer from what ebay did to you .. I would not purchase from someone who has been downgraded.

dk1967

Thanks for nothing

Stop dealing with ebay is my advice. Sounds like you are a bad ebayer from what ebay did to you .. I would not purchase from someone who has been downgraded.
So in addition to NOT offering any legal insight into eBay's practices, you insult me as well...
I could give you the link to my feedback page, but you're not worth it. I'm going to find another legal forum where I will paste my original message and then I'll delete this one and be sure to never come here again.

Again, thanks for nothing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So in addition to NOT offering any legal insight into eBay's practices, you insult me as well...
I could give you the link to my feedback page, but you're not worth it. I'm going to find another legal forum where I will paste my original message and then I'll delete this one and be sure to never come here again.

Again, thanks for nothing.
eBay is a private entity. Your recourse is to not do business with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

dk1967

Fair enough

eBay is a private entity. Your recourse is to not do business with them.
Thank you. I guess the activist in me is thinking about all the poor jerks who sell something and never get their money for it (without being warned of this risk beforehand). Just isn't sitting right with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">