• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wooden playset - problem with Installers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robcartrem

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm in New Jersey, the Installer's base is in TN

I purchased a wooden playset for my son and we the installers have partially completed the project however I’m having difficulty having them come back out to complete the project. I continuously either contact them thru phone and/or e-mail I receive little response and when I do it’s that they’re working on getting someone out there. Unfortunately I paid for the installation cost up front but based on the fact this company is used by most large companies I didn’t see much of an issue. It’s been 1 ½ months since the installation process began and the stress is taking a toll and I want to give them a deadline and tell them I want a full refund (though it’s partially installed their technicians ruined the rockwall and need it replaced. Without having to hire legal representation, what I can I do go ?

robcartrem

Is this just a simple wood slat wall, with "rocks" we are talking about? What else needs finished?
It is a simple wood slat with the fake rocks. As for what else needs to be finished, the slide wasn't put together nor installed, the monkey bars are not put together nor installed, the playhouse wasn't assembled nor installed and the roof covering wasn't installed...there's still quite a bit of work left

OHRoadwarrior

It is a simple wood slat with the fake rocks. As for what else needs to be finished, the slide wasn't put together nor installed, the monkey bars are not put together nor installed, the playhouse wasn't assembled nor installed and the roof covering wasn't installed...there's still quite a bit of work left
What is the rest of this story? Obviously they showed up, unloaded and started assembly. Were they paid for X amount of labor or a flat install charge? Was this through the manufacturer or was it simply an authorized seller or installer?

robcartrem

What is the rest of this story? Obviously they showed up, unloaded and started assembly. Were they paid for X amount of labor or a flat install charge? Was this through the manufacturer or was it simply an authorized seller or installer?

The installer was recommended by the MFR and yes we paid in full based on this and the fact that this company is utilized by some other larger companies...The installer hires the technicians and the 1st tech assigned never showed up. About a week later a 2nd tech came and began installation and said it would take 2 days however they showed up late in the days and unable to finish. the main technician just dropped off 2 of his friends to do the work. After about 8 hours when he returned they began to dismantle the item playset, when we asked why he said it was done wrong. He did it again the 2nd day and on that day they didn't show up until after 2PM. Since they allocated only 2 days, they weren't able to finish in time. After inspection, we found they damaged the rockwall and cracked some other pieces in addition to installing some parts incorrectly in addition to mulitple drill holes. When we contacted the tech and installer on the 3rd day, they advised they hadn't planned on coming out that day as they had other projects scheduled but they would get someone to the location. We did not want that 2nd technician back because of the damage and lack of professionalism. Since then, they sent another technician to survey the damage. He was able to fix the swing portion of the playset but and was going to report back. He then advised he'd be back on that Tuesday but never showed. We've been asking for installation and replacement of the wood and last correspondance ( I basically call or e-mail them continuously) was e-mail thread on Saturday stating they were confirming with the original installers to come back finish and correct the issues (yes I said original even though we don't want them back). They would confirm a date this past Saturday and let me know ASAP...haven't heard anything on it though I did send an e-mail requesting an update.

I have a folder full of e-mails that I've sent asking for updates and the phone logs as well but not sure what steps I cana take to fix. Actually thinking of the BBB to aid.

OHRoadwarrior

Understand I am not trying to sound snarky in my reply. At this point, I suggest you contact the manufacturer, explain the problem and ask them to intercede. This may be as simple as them replacing the damaged wood pieces, calling the installer or brushing you off. You may end up finishing this yourself if you want it done timely. Even being disabled I assembled one with a helper years ago. It is not that difficult if you follow directions.

justalayman

take lots and lots of pictures of the damage and the current condition of the installation.

Then, with that in hand, give them a deadline to finalize the installation and replace the rock wall.

If they fail to finish it within that time frame, either finish it yourself or hire somebody to finish it.

Make a demand from the installers for the damage to the rocks, the the additional amount you had to pay for the installation up to the cost of their installation charges and include the cost of replacing the rock wall.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">