• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 yr old son arrested in florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Soyogirl

What is the name of your state?Florida My son was arrested on Valentine's Day, hand cuffed and booked as an adult for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (switchblade). Never read his miranda rights and never recieved both sides of the story, he is currently on house arrest with voice recognition. never in trouble before and to top it off his name was printed in the paper along with his address. is this legal?

HomeGuru

Soyogirl said:
What is the name of your state?Florida My son was arrested on Valentine's Day, hand cuffed and booked as an adult for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (switchblade). Never read his miranda rights and never recieved both sides of the story, he is currently on house arrest with voice recognition. never in trouble before and to top it off his name was printed in the paper along with his address. is this legal?

**A: ok, what was the story of the police and what was his story? Due to privacy issues and him being a minor, his name should not have been published in the paper.

stephenk

if he was convicted as an adult, I believe the privacy issues of a minor no longer apply. What was he convicted of? Was he convicted as an adult?

There is no need for miranda rights if he was not questioned by the police.

Bravo8

I agree with stephenk......if he has been charged as an adult, he can be treated as an adult, including losing those "privacy" issues.

K

Kaz the Minotau

The police don't always have to "read someone their Miranda rights" contrary to what the TV shows portray. What is the police side of the story?

D

DRN

If they are arresting someone, yes, they are obligated to give Miranda warning. Or they can have any incriminating statements made by the defendant suppressed at trial. Your choice.

K

Kaz the Minotau

If the police do not ask the defendant questions then Miranda isn't necessary.

L

loocpoc

Questioning + Custody= Miranda

Thats the formula that is needed forreading Miranda. If he was never questioned than no need for Miranda. If he were questioned he would need have the right to have the Miranada warnings read in front of both a lawyer and parents.

D

DRN

It doesn't apply only to right to remain quiet. Right to an attorney. Right to have attorney appointed. Do you understand these rights.

Seems to make sense to give the warning anyway, whether the cop plans to question or not. Covers all bases and the cop wouldn't have to lie under oath at a Huntley hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">