• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

julie3n1

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Three years ago I confessed to my employer that I was stealing.
I have been nothing but helpful since, even helping prosecution obtain the actual evidence they would need to convict. The problem has been the dollar amount. I am being charged for days that the bank can't find actual deposit slips. Because of this
I have not agreed to any plea agreements. So much time has gone by without a conclusion, I finally requested a bench trial.
First trial date scheduled for 2/02. State continued. 2nd date was 7/22/02, which was held. One month before 7/22/02 trial date, deputy prosecutor amended charges from 3 to 17!! (She filed for each month in question, and of course if $1 was taken that month I'm guilty.) The dollar amount that I took was between $10,000 and $15,000 - prosecution going for $37,000.
On trial date I plead guilty to all charges. During sentencing hearning we will deal with the $ problem. My question? Isn't 17 felony charges overkill? My trial ended up on the front page of the local paper, and I'm sure it's a "story" due to the fact that it was 17 charges. Wouldn't this look like overkill to the legal professionals, too? My guess is that it was to encourage me to ask for the plea agreement. Due to the fact that I am being honest about my crime, I want the dollar amount to be honest, too. No plea agreement that has a dishonest amount owed, even with 17 charges looking at me.

HomeGuru

I am a legal professional and yes, it does sound like overkill to me. There should only have been 16 felony charges.

C

CaliCat

I think they're trying you for each individual theft. But there should be some leniency as you came forward (from the sounds of it before they knew anything) and are cooperating. What sentence are you facing?

J

julie3n1

You are correct about all. I am facing 3 years for each count - 51 years. However, I'm pretty confident that the court will be more merciful than giving me 51 years. There are a lot of mitigating factors. Of course, I am so very sorry for this crime, too. Not only did I steal, but I hurt so many people in the process. I just wanted to understand why she would amend the charges at the last minute to so many. I thought that it was laughable, considering how hard I've tried to plead guilty - for so long. I realize that the last laugh will probably be on me, but I am guilty and pleading such was always my intention. When the prosecutor turns around and does something like this, is it to encourage a plea agreement? Or does it require more serious consideration from the judge? I just can't understand it. Well,
nothing happens that God doesn't allow.

C

CaliCat

Wow! 51 years.... Do you have an attorney? What does your former employer want to do? Perhaps he can have a weighing in the sentencing and charges. Do not do a single thing or say a single peep without first speaking with an attorney.

Bravo8

Doesn't sound like overkill to me......you committed the crime 17 times, therefore 17 counts.

51 years is extreme though.....let's be realistic, that's not what you are really looking at.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">