• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old daughters gardian sold her car...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? montana.hi my daughter use to live with her aunt in montana.i sent her money to buy a car and she did.she was 16 at the time and think the car had to be put in her aunts name and my daughters name.last month she left her aunts and moved to fla to be with her mom.leaving the car behind for my 115 year old son.well 2 weeks ago he left to.now my daughter found out she soild her car.not giving her any money.can my daughter call the police and report the car stoling by her aunt? are what can she do to get her money back for the car? :mad: thank you for your time.

moburkes

I'm in OH, but I got a car in my name at age 16. Whose name was on the title? If it was the aunt's name, then without an agreement otherwise, she owned the vehicle.

CdwJava

If the transfer of title needed BOTH their signatures, and the aunt forged the daughter's signature without her permission, we probably have a crime. If only one of their names was necessary, then the police won't involve themselves in a civil issue.

Whitenight, has anyone talked to her to find out HER side of the tale?

- Carl

daughters car

hi again.she didnt forge my daughters signature.my daughter signed herself and her aunt also signed.ill try to find out exactlywhat the title says when i speak to my daughter later tonight.thank you for the replies.hope to hear more.:confused:

CdwJava

whitenight said:
hi again.she didnt forge my daughters signature.my daughter signed herself and her aunt also signed.ill try to find out exactlywhat the title says when i speak to my daughter later tonight.thank you for the replies.hope to hear more.:
If they both signed the paperwork justifying the sale, then it's legal.

You can sue the aunt for a portion of the sale if you think you have a case, but there is nothing against the law in selling a car when both people on the title agree.

- Carl

moburkes

Once your daughter signed the title, that is all the aunt needed in order to proceed with the sale. The option to sue the aunt for a portion of the sale was already given.

car

hi the problem is that the aunt sold her car without asking my daughter and didnt give her anything..??:confused:
her aunt is really missed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i dont wont her to get away with this.shes always scaming money one way are another from my children.:mad: :mad: :mad:

seniorjudge

Q: can my daughter call the police and report the car stoling by her aunt?

A: No, because your daughter agreed to the sale.

Q: are what can she do to get her money back for the car?

A: How much money did the aunt spend on keeping your kids?

car

Q: can my daughter call the police and report the car stoling by her aunt?

A: No, because your daughter agreed to the sale.

Q: are what can she do to get her money back for the car?

A: How much money did the aunt spend on keeping your kids?
she didnt spend any money on my kids she got money.and for the car i gave my daughter the money for it.her aunt didnt pay anything

CdwJava

In the absence of a contract to the contrary, the TITLED OWNER of the car (the aunt) can lawfully sell property which she legally owns (the car) and do what she wishes with the money.

There is no crime. Arguably, there might be a claim for some or all of the proceeds of the sale, but that will require a civil suit.

If your daughter SIGNED the papers authorizing the sale, then it's done. Time to go after her in small claims court or sue her in superior court (depending on the value of the car).

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">