• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17year old son steals from employer

• Thread starter confused_RI_parent
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confused_RI_parent

My wife and I are confused about how to handle my son's big mistake. He stole ~$250 over a period of a month from his employer thru the cash register. We have an attorney, but his advice isn't ringing true. He wants us to go to court plead not guitly and hope for an FOC. The local police are recommending a juvenile board hearing. They claim it would be in my son's best interest as he is a 1st time offender with a high upside. Any advice?

T

TxBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by confused_RI_parent:
My wife and I are confused about how to handle my son's big mistake. He stole ~$250 over a period of a month from his employer thru the cash register. We have an attorney, but his advice isn't ringing true. He wants us to go to court plead not guitly and hope for an FOC. The local police are recommending a juvenile board hearing. They claim it would be in my son's best interest as he is a 1st time offender with a high upside. Any advice?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went through something similar with my15 yr old last year, he denied the 2 felony charges and I hired a atty and spent 1500.00 on retainer. After reading thep olice report i went home and told him to fess up, his lies arent washing any longer.
My attorney receommended the In-Office probation here in TX for 1st time Jouvenile offenders, he did the 6mos probation and hasnt been in any trouble since. I would recommend the Jouvenile Board Hearing. Too bad that you had to spend the money on an attorney first though, this is something you can handle yourself without an attorney, most Jouvenile Probation offices are willing to work with the parents.

T

Tracey

Let me see if I've got this right. You spent $$ for advice from a lawyer whose job is to get your son the best deal possible, and you think the cops' advice (the people who want to put your kid in jail) is better. And rather than talk to the lawyer about why the cops are saying this & whether they're right, you come to this board for free advice from a bunch of non-lawyers who don't know your state's laws & don't know the case & have no training or education in the law?

If you pay someone for advice, you should take it, or have a *darn* good reason to reject it! Besides, it's your son's choice what to do even though you pay the lawyer. There may be facts the lawyer can't tell you that are influencing his advice.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited October 05, 2000).]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
". . . you come to this board for free advice from a bunch of non-lawyers who don't know your state's laws & don't know the case & have no training or education in the law?"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I agree with your conclusion and your argument, in part, Tracey. I don't agree with your above-noted conclusion if you intend to lump me in with that statement.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

T

TxBlu

The point I was trying to make in my uneducated but experienced advice is this...
The kid admitted (or the parents are admitting) the kid stole the money, ok, it is time to make him realize that this is not right. You do the crime you do the time. If the kid took the money and is guilty it is good parenting to let them learn a lesson rather then pay their way out of it to teach them that the parents will always be there to bail them out. In office probation or whatever they call it is a wake up call for a kid. Especially one that is 17 and could have this off his record at the age of 18.
If they dont dothis right now, this petty theft kid will become a bank robber or embezzler when he gets older, and why?? Because mom and dad will bail him out..
Like I said it was just uneducated advice on my part and yes they are in a different state. I do hope all turns out well in the matter.

T

Tracey

Never! I just didn't want to type out all the attorney aliases 'cause my fingers were too cold to type well. :) You're absolutely the most wonderful, educated, informed, intelligent, handsome person gracing these forums & I am in awe of your detailed command of the laws in all 50 states. My oversight was inexcusable. Nevertheless, will you accept my sincere apologies? I'll try to do better next time, honest. :)

Your #1 fan

R

rldavis

I know in the state of Illinois -- age 17 is considered an adult, anything you do once you turn 17 stays on your adult record. But, my question is -- why didn't you read the police report before hiring a lawyer and paying a retainer?

T

TxBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rldavis:
I know in the state of Illinois -- age 17 is considered an adult, anything you do once you turn 17 stays on your adult record. But, my question is -- why didn't you read the police report before hiring a lawyer and paying a retainer? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, in my situation it was a little different, my son lied to me.. will try to rehash the events quickly..
I was called at work (60 miles from home)by my mother, my then 14 yr old son was at the city police dept being questioned. Instead of calling me at work to come down they called my sister. They needed an adult to give permission to question my child. I called the PD talked to my sister and told her they were not to question him until I got there she had no legal rights to give them permission to. My mother had told me they were questioning him on 2 felonies, unauthorized use of a MV and and burglary of a habitation. My whole problem was I had no forewarning did not know what was going on, he had skipped a couple of classes after lunch the previous day and had went to another friends house, not sure to this day if they were given permission to enter the house or not. Regardless they found the keys to the 2nd friends mom's car and took it for a drive, now mind you we live in a very small town so obviously they had to know someone would see them... ok, so on my way home i stopped and called a atty and he advised me since I did not have any idea about what was going on to invoke his rights and come directly to his office. So they charged him and we left went to atty. That was the first time I heard anything about the situation or what surrounded the charges, the police did not have a report only would tell me the other kid confessed. So being the *good* parent I believed my child, I had nothing else to go on. About a month later I finally got to read the police report and after doing so I knew(had a feling anyways, 6th sense) that he was guilty. Had already paid and signed the contract with the atty. I told the atty and myson on our first meeting that if I had any incination at all that my son had done any of these crimmes that I wanted him to serve jail or probation, he had to learn. Also it should be noted this is the first and only time he has been in any kind of legal trouble, I have always had him insports and kept him busy to prevent this type of thing. THe kid he got caught with is a child he would have never associated with here at home, only at school.
So you live and you learn and as they say, this too shall pass.
** As a note, the school never notified me of my sons delinquency and never tried to contact me at work when my son was taken from the school to the PD for questioning, something I have a problem with. It seems that the PD has overriding rights of the parents here.

[This message has been edited by TxBlu (edited October 06, 2000).]

C

chrissea

Forgive me if I give my own opinion & it does not agree with you, but whatever happened to good ol'fashioned values & morals. I would have sat my son down found out what was wrong & why he stole the money in the first place. Then I would have gone with him while he had a talk with the employer, confessed & apologized! Then he should offer whatever he could do to repay the person personally. Doing odd jobs, & paying back every cent on top of doing extra work for the person personally for free i.e. at his home, perhaps his mother's home, or at a community org. of the employers choice.
You could have avoided this whole court thing all together. This is called good morals & good parenting. All kids must know that there are consequences for their actions.
Putting the kid on probation or doing community service may be good for the court & the community, but what about the victim?
What does it teach the child? This does not seem like a very serious crime compared to many of the youths around our country.
If anyone out there thinks that your record is erased after you turn of legal age your are mistaken. Your record follows you everywhere. The most important thing is to teach him responsibility for his action with the victim. This brings good value & moral to your child & he will always remember it.
You will never know until you try. Like my mother always said,"It never hurts to ask even if the answer is no." Good luck! from Mich.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">