• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 counts of maintaining a common nuisance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

10brandonr

Hi, I'm from Sioux Falls, SD. I had a party at my house which was busted by the police. I am being charged with 18 counts of maintaining a common nuisance. Which is a class one misdemeanor. For south dakota law, repercussions of a Class 1 misdemeanor is a $2000 fine, or a year in county jail. Is this a realistic punishment and what my best plan of action?

FlyingRon

We've got not idea. Sounds like they're after you for something if they charged you with 18 counts. A lawyer would be recommended. Absent any details as to your case, you might get it down to the penalty for just one or two counts, but without further information it's hard to guess.

10brandonr

It was a party with underage drinking. They gave me a count for each underage person caught drinking. Any other detail that would help?

FlyingRon

You need a lawyer, Nathan. He can tell you better than we could. You're lucky none of those girls fell off the roof.

10brandonr

Thanks for the help. I think you're referring to separate incidence in the area though. Also you can call me Brandon? :) I was just hoping for some more incite into what I can expect as far as fines and or jail time. This is my first time being in trouble as an adult but I have gotten a minor when I was sixteen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">