• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 yr. old gets drug citation/CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VMarina

Hello.

My 18 yr. old son was arrested when he was with an individual who was in possession of meth. While my son was not held, he was given a citation and then released. Today we had a call from a 'case manager'. Does my son need a lawyer? And could anyone tell me what the procedure is here? The citation was for being in a public place under the influence of meth. (he was drug tested) Any help would be very much appreciated as this is his 1st offense as an adult.(he has been in drug treatment as a juvenile) Thanks.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, where was the case manager from? If he was tested for meth, did he test positive or negative? The fact he had this problem when he was younger may affect him now.

Get a lawyer (speak to one) just in case. If he hasn't been formally charged yet, it may be they just don't have enough proof. Perhaps the lawyer can find out the test results for you as a starting point.

Relax, take a deep breath and consult a criminal defense attorney.

T

Tracey

Your son absolutely needs a lawyer. A drug conviction has far-reaching & unexpected consequences. He can't get a student loan, take some tax credits, join the FBI, etc. Hopefully the lawyer can find some way to get the test thrown out.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

V

VMarina

Thanks for the information. I wonder though what usually happens in a case like this...
He did test positive, so would he be charged with a crime for that? And what is the crime if he didn't have any drugs on him but 'in' him? (since they gave him a citation but did not take him to jail?)
Also, is CA required to give him a lawyer if he cant afford one?

Victoria

[This message has been edited by VMarina (edited October 22, 2000).]

V

VMarina

Im just wondering if he will have a lawyer provided?

Victoria

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">