• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1966 kidnap/rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3wood

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas

In 1966 I was hitchhiking home from a movie when I was picked up by 2 guys. They pulled a hand gun on me I was 15 at the time and took me to a local park. They marched me into a restroom and said I could either let one of the guys perform oral sex on me or my brains would be on the restroom floor. After the event was over they let me go and my 40+ years of alcohol/drug abuse began.
I began cutting my arms and still have the scars but when that stopped working I went on to stronger methods.

I know one of the people that did this to me he is a very successful designer and I intend on making him pay one way or another. Do I have a civil or criminal claim. Also do you think he would settle by having a attorney write a letter telling him of my intentions? thanks 3woodWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
45 years after the fact? I don't know what the statute of limitations is offhand but I can't imagine that it didn't run out years, if not decades ago.

Proserpina

Assuming there was no police report, or anything of that nature, and because this person is now - presumably - somewhat in the public eye...there is a strong chance you'll be seen as nothing more than a nutjob and any letter will likely end up in the trash.

Please note that I am not saying that you are a nutjob - simply how it may be perceived.

The other negative is that the statute of limitations in which the state of Texas can prosecute rape/sexual assault has long since expired.

Perhaps counseling might be the better route to take.

You should also be very wary of accusing this person - because without a conviction, you may open yourself up to a defamation suit which could literally bury you financially.

I'm sure that's not what you want.

3wood

Thanks for the timely reply

I have patiently waited until my health has failed and will be having a long over due come to jesus meeting with my kidnapper/raper and he will get to feel the same fear i felt so many years ago. I just thought that if a civil avenue could be reached that could help my loved ones but i can see how that would look this needs to be dealt with one one one and eye to eye up close and personal.

Proserpina

I have patiently waited until my health has failed and will be having a long over due come to jesus meeting with my kidnapper/raper and he will get to feel the same fear i felt so many years ago. I just thought that if a civil avenue could be reached that could help my loved ones but i can see how that would look this needs to be dealt with one one one and eye to eye up close and personal.

I'm sorry - you have no legal recourse.

And you MUST be careful.

Don't go accusing him of anything. I strongly recommend you do NOT contact him at all, actually - doing so might lead you down a path that you really don't wish to travel.

3wood

No contact?

why would you suggest to let a kidnapper/rapist alone and that i have something to lose. I have already lost and have nothing to lose and will not go to my grave without this resolved. I am shocked at the idea i should let this person get away with it. Yes ive tried to forget about it but as my mortality has come in to focus i see thats not possible. we are on a collision course and he will answer for his actions nothing more.

Proserpina

why would you suggest to let a kidnapper/rapist alone and that i have something to lose. I have already lost and have nothing to lose and will not go to my grave without this resolved. I am shocked at the idea i should let this person get away with it. Yes ive tried to forget about it but as my mortality has come in to focus i see thats not possible. we are on a collision course and he will answer for his actions nothing more.

Are you wanting to spend the rest of your life in jail?

I'm sorry - I do not believe that this forum can advise you further.

justalayman

Are you wanting to spend the rest of your life in jail?

I'm sorry - I do not believe that this forum can advise you further.

I suspect, from the OP's writings, that wouldn't be a long stay.

I have patiently waited until my health has failed and will be having a long over due come to jesus meeting with my kidnapper/raper and he will get to feel the same fear i felt so many years ago.

NellieBly

Please bear in mind he may not be a person who feels remorse or even fear. He might even do you further harm.

A wise person once told me "it's not what you say, it's what you can prove."

Most likely nothing can stop you, but please be careful.

cyjeff

Okay, let's look at this objectively...

What proof do you have? Before you start accusing people with far more resources than you do, what can you do to prove this happened?

Realize that famous people have this sort of stuff happen all the time... and courts routinely dismiss the cases LONG before they reach a court. Add in the fact that the statute of limitations was over 40 years ago, and this is a waste of time.

I am not saying it didn't happen. I am saying that you are tilting at a windmill. You will not get your day in court or any words resembling an apology from the alleged perpetrator.

All you may gain are very large legal bills when you (or your estate) is sued.

Proserpina

Okay, let's look at this objectively...

What proof do you have? Before you start accusing people with far more resources than you do, what can you do to prove this happened?

Realize that famous people have this sort of stuff happen all the time... and courts routinely dismiss the cases LONG before they reach a court. Add in the fact that the statute of limitations was over 40 years ago, and this is a waste of time.

I am not saying it didn't happen. I am saying that you are tilting at a windmill. You will not get your day in court or any words resembling an apology from the alleged perpetrator.

All you may gain are very large legal bills when you (or your estate) is sued.

Quite frankly, given OP's actual posts, that's the least of my concerns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">