• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st degree Trespassing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DPF85

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

OK, so I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right area, if not I apologize. But here is my story/question anyways (any advice would be GREATLY appreciated):

I am 21 years old and I live near Greensboro, NC. I was at a friends party a few weekends back at an apartment complex in Greensboro. I am of age, and I was drinking... and I wouldn't say I was drunk, but quite under the influence, and I felt like swimming. So I went up to my friend who lived there and said "what time does the pool close?" since it was about 10:30 at night, and he says "9 o'clock, but since you are my guest here you're allowed to go in. If you have permission from a resident, it's ok." Now once again, I was not sober and had no reason to argue with his response, at the time it made sense. So I got in the pool with 2 other people, one being the friend who lived there. I was not loud at all, I jumped in and lost my glasses immediately and spent the next 20 minutes searching for my glasses... so I was not causing any disturbence. Everyone got out and went back to the party except for myself and a girl who never got in the pool but stood on the side to guide me to my glasses since I am almost legally blind without them. When I finally reached them and came back up for air, a police officer's flash light was in my face. He told me to get out, and I did not hesitate to get out and I cooperated with everything he told me to do and I gave no attitude at all. He gave me a citation for "first degree trespassing" and the police officer told me it is a misdemeanor. However, when I was in the back of the cop car, his computer screen said on it "suspects entered secured area and refused to leave after a warning was advised." I was not at ANY point given a warning while I was in that pool, I simply came out of the water and he was there and I got out when I saw him. So what advice could anyone give me... do you think I can get the charges dropped since I have a perfectly clean record... do you think possibly the judge will take into account that I was told by a resident that it was OK in the rules if a resident told me I could go in? It was bad judgement on my part to even listen, I know... but I am about to talk to an Air Force recruiter about getting signed up, and I would hate for this to stop me in any way. If I do get convicted, what do you think my punishment will be and how will it effect my record? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Paul Fitzgerald

Luv_N_Stepmom

Some of what you are saying doesn't make sense.....:confused: .(But since you are my guest here you are allowed. If you have permission from a resident, it's ok." )

1. How come you didn't tell the officer you had permission from your friend the resident to swim?
How come the officer did not verify this with the resident?
2. Is the resident going to vouch for you?
3. Were did the one girl that was left at the pool with you helping to retrieve your eyeglasses disappear to when the officer approached.
Was she even questioned as to whether or not she belonged there on the apt complex's property and why she was at the pool/ Did the officer let her go?

I find it strange that everyone from the party left the pool at the same time and returned to the party and all of a sudden officer is doing pool patrol.
I do know that some apts require residents to have a pass or something similar on them when using the pool to keep people out of the pool who are not authorized to swim in it or who do not reside at the apt complex.

Is it possible the officer gave warning while you were under water searching for your eyeglasses and you did not hear the warning and everyone else did and that is why they all left at the same time?
Well, whatever the case may be the girl left standing there with you should have known or heard the officer if he warned everyone to leave since she never got into the pool the entire time.:confused:
Obviously the pool must indeed close at 9pm...No exceptions:rolleyes: resident or not.

Last edited:

DPF85

Luv_N_Stepmom said:
Some of what you are saying doesn't make sense.....:confused: .(But since you are my guest here you are allowed. If you have permission from a resident, it's ok." )

1. How come you didn't tell the officer you had permission from your friend the resident to swim?
How come the officer did not verify this with the resident?
2. Is the resident going to vouch for you?
3. Were did the one girl that was left at the pool with you helping to retrieve your eyeglasses disappear to when the officer approached.
Was she even questioned as to whether or not she belonged there on the apt complex's property and why she was at the pool/ Did the officer let her go?

I find it strange that everyone from the party left the pool at the same time and returned to the party and all of a sudden officer is doing pool patrol.
I do know that some apts require residents to have a pass or something similar on them when using the pool to keep people out of the pool who are not authorized to swim in it or who do not reside at the apt complex.

Is it possible the officer gave warning while you were under water searching for your eyeglasses and you did not hear the warning and everyone else did and that is why they all left at the same time?
Well, whatever the case may be the girl left standing there with you should have known or heard the officer if he warned everyone to leave since she never got into the pool the entire time.:confused:
Obviously the pool must indeed close at 9pm...No exceptions:rolleyes: resident or not.

The girl was also placed in handcuffs and put in the back of the patrol car until I told the officer that she had not gotten in to the water and that she was being nice and helping me find my glasses since I am basically blind and couldnt see them. He released her. I did not see that being relevant to my portion of the question, thats why I did not mention that.

I did not tell the officer I had permission b/c I told him about the girl, and he got an attitude and I decided that it was in my best intentions to quit talking and not piss him off, and since he did not give me any other chances to talk, I did not think it would help me to all of a sudden have excuses. Therefore, he had no reason to "verify it with the resident."

Yes, the friend will vouch for me.

The other TWO people left the pool.. I didnt say the whole party was there, and I did not say they left at the same time, now did I? They left before the cop came... they were in just for a few minutes and left since one was the guy who lived there and he had an apartment full of people, including people he did not know. I was in for about 20 minutes looking for my glasses. And it is possible the officer gave me warning when I was under water, but it would had to of been the very last time I dove down, leaving about a 30 second - 1 minute time span b/w warning and putting me in a cop car. Also I dont think that would qualify as "fair warning," or anything that could qualify as me disregarding a warning.

Luv_N_Stepmom

Your best answer is to call your local recruiting office and speak to one of the air force guys and they should be able to tell you what charges will keep you from entering in the air force...because all branch's don't go off of the same rules or guidelines...some restrictions to joining are the same for Air Force, Navy, Marines and Army and some are different.

They can tell you for sure what will disqualify you from joining...and if one branch turn you down try to join another branch of military because they may be able to take you..... Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">