• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 problems please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alicia57

What is the name of your state? Arizona We are a Landscape maintence Co. For this work we do not need a contractors license. A few months ago we were approached by a good friend of my partner who's daughter according to him could not afford a licensed contractor. We told him we do landscape maintenance only, but he called again and insisted that he knew my partner knew how to do brick work and block walls as he has done this work for friends and family before. My partner agreed to help his daughter as a favor as they had the HOA hounding them to get the work done. We agreed as a favor and was not making any money on the deal. During the job being done the wife and husband argued back and forth making us change the work several times. In the end we went to collect the final check for materials and labor and the owner of the house paid us and wrote finale payment on the check and said he was happy with the work. a day later the check bounced making my account bounce 12 checks in return. I went to speak to him and told him I needed this money we had already paid the worker that went to do the job and our account was bouncing, the owner of the house said he would pay me but wanted us to make changes to the work, I said fine give me the money. In that the wife comes out yelling saying she hates the work and doesnt want to pay at all and that she would hiring someone else to correct the work we did. I told her your husband already authorized the work and paid me with a bad check she still refusd. i went to the Maricopa county attorney and filed a bad check complaint. The in turn went to the State Registrar of contractors and reported us for not having a license which they knew we did'nt. The amount of the patio work done was $6,800.00 a licensed contractor wanted about $15,000. They also threatened to sue us and have us pay to have a licensed contractor redue the work plus legal fees. I wonder if they did'nt set this up on purpose to have us pay for this in the first place. 1rst question what will the registrar of contractors do to us? and 2nd do they have any responiblity in the case in insisting we do this job knowing we are landscapers, my partner did this work in Mexico and that's how come they approached him to do it at a cut throat price. Can a judge make us pay to have someone else redo the work and should we get an attorney to represent us in cse they sue? is our money gone forever?

HomeGuru

alicia57 said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona We are a Landscape maintence Co. For this work we do not need a contractors license. A few months ago we were approached by a good friend of my partner who's daughter according to him could not afford a licensed contractor. We told him we do landscape maintenance only, but he called again and insisted that he knew my partner knew how to do brick work and block walls as he has done this work for friends and family before. My partner agreed to help his daughter as a favor as they had the HOA hounding them to get the work done. We agreed as a favor and was not making any money on the deal. During the job being done the wife and husband argued back and forth making us change the work several times. In the end we went to collect the final check for materials and labor and the owner of the house paid us and wrote finale payment on the check and said he was happy with the work. a day later the check bounced making my account bounce 12 checks in return. I went to speak to him and told him I needed this money we had already paid the worker that went to do the job and our account was bouncing, the owner of the house said he would pay me but wanted us to make changes to the work, I said fine give me the money. In that the wife comes out yelling saying she hates the work and doesnt want to pay at all and that she would hiring someone else to correct the work we did. I told her your husband already authorized the work and paid me with a bad check she still refusd. i went to the Maricopa county attorney and filed a bad check complaint. The in turn went to the State Registrar of contractors and reported us for not having a license which they knew we did'nt. The amount of the patio work done was $6,800.00 a licensed contractor wanted about $15,000. They also threatened to sue us and have us pay to have a licensed contractor redue the work plus legal fees. I wonder if they did'nt set this up on purpose to have us pay for this in the first place. 1rst question what will the registrar of contractors do to us? and 2nd do they have any responiblity in the case in insisting we do this job knowing we are landscapers, my partner did this work in Mexico and that's how come they approached him to do it at a cut throat price. Can a judge make us pay to have someone else redo the work and should we get an attorney to represent us in cse they sue? is our money gone forever?

**A: yes, hire an attorney. Never ever do work for which a contractor's license is required, if you do not posess such a license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">