• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

20 year old, caught merchendise theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

livefree007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
OKLAHOMA
20, worked at walmart.
i had taken a couple of tiems, stupid me and took a small milk and oreo cookies a few times, maybe 2 or 3 times to the back. i was going to pay for it after and i forgot, one time, i just didnt have money to pay for it so i didnt. turns out that they caught that event which took place on the 14th , and osmone was watching me.. :( . i was told that today i will be terminated, he just made me fwrite out a small statement what happened and what idid on a blank piece of paper......which he didnt make me sign either... and then i signed a green termination form paper saying i did do that theft of those small items. and then he clocked me out, took my badge.. thast it.. there was no sign of cops called or anything which surprised me. and i left. that was today, I CANT SLEEP IM SO SCARED.. parents are out of town and they got mad when i said i have been fired from walmart for stealin small ****. IDK, im so confused whats going to happen and what i ahe to do

It's doubtful you'll be prosecuted for stealing cookies and milk, although depending on your state laws the merchant may be able to demand payment up to 3x or so of the value of the merchandise you took.

You won't want to be using Walmart as an employment reference, that's for sure.

JETX

IDK, im so confused whats going to happen and what i ahe to do
'AnotherMoron'.... is.

Here is what is LIKELY the case:
1) When you signed that paperwork, you agreed to NOT enter the store again (and possibly ALL Walmarts).
2) You WILL be receiving a very nice letter from the store 'recovery' folks, demanding payment for 'civil damages'.
Oklahoma law provides lots of opportunities for 'civil liability' for theft, too many to be reprinted here. The options are covered under §21-1731.1 and can be found online at:
http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/OKStatutes/CompleteTitles/os21.rtf

As for Oklahoma Code on shoplifting, first conviction:
§21-1731. Larceny of merchandise from retailer or wholesaler - Punishment - Recidivists.
Larceny of merchandise held for sale in retail or wholesale establishments shall be punishable as follows:
1. For the first conviction, in the event the value of the goods, edible meat or other corporeal property which has been taken is less than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), the violator shall be punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not exceeding thirty (30) days, and by a fine not less than Ten Dollars ($10.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00); provided for the first conviction, in the event more than one item of goods, edible meat or other corporeal property has been taken, punishment shall be by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed thirty (30) days, and by a fine not less than Fifty Dollars ($50.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00).

kjizzle

I most likely sound like your mom when I ask you this but What is wrong with you? I know someone who is a manager there and they watch for this kind of thing specifically they do not take kindly to their own employees stealing from them. I know you will get the letter demanding payment of 200.00 but if they want to prosecute you then they can and will if they so desire. So you got fired over say 10.00 and will have to pay 200.00 plus you could face criminal charges, so was the cookies and milk worth it?:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">