• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21 and 17 to big of a gap?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbrutaldrummer

Hi I recently turned 21 and have been speaking with a 17 year old girl thats a 4 year difference. Things are not serious with this girl but there is a possibility of them going furthur. My questions for you are first off do you think this gap in age difference is to large? I'm no pedefile when I first met her I was under the impression she was 18 and i was 20 at the time so it seemed fine. Well i found out she is 17 and i just turned 21. I'm no pedifile and I dont see 4 years as a big stretch. My only worries are if we were to ever become intimate with each other there is the risk of me getting screwed over due to the fact she is under 18. I have been reading and nothing is really clear as to whether or not it's legal or not. I'm just trying to stay on the safe side and I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

V

Vojobo

Well, four years really isnt that bad, but I would just not be intimate for a while. The laws at that kind of stuff always depend on what state your in. We would have to know the state before we could help. Just be careful

Check this site out
http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

cbrutaldrummer

I'm from iowa, I just got done reading that site for 2 hours. A lot of interesting data but there are no facts. There are a lot of loop holes. I know this sounds pretty ****ed up but it's just a thought what if she signed some sort of contract or form? From what I understand though it would be up to her parents to press charges, she is temporariliy staying with her father and her mother is divorced from him but the wierd thing is she has a restraining order against her dad. So if she lived on her own her wouldnt be her parental gaurdian?

badapple40

cbrutaldrummer said:
I'm from iowa, I just got done reading that site for 2 hours. A lot of interesting data but there are no facts. There are a lot of loop holes. I know this sounds pretty ****ed up but it's just a thought what if she signed some sort of contract or form? From what I understand though it would be up to her parents to press charges, she is temporariliy staying with her father and her mother is divorced from him but the wierd thing is she has a restraining order against her dad. So if she lived on her own her wouldnt be her parental gaurdian?
It doesn't matter what she signs, swears to, or anything along those lines. Her consent is not the issue. A minor can't consent to statutory rape, it is a strict liability offense. Moreover, even if she is over the age of consent, there are probably laws in the jurisdiction that prevent the corruption of minors, which would include sexual activity or possibly even sexual discussions with minors. Why don't you wait until her 18th birthday to save yourself a whole host of problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">