• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

26 months no trial? Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marine1

What is the name of your state? New York. 26 months ago my girlfriend and I split just weeks before our wedding and her freind told her how to get a order of protection. I was charged with menacing, while she thought that by doing this she could come into my apartment which she had vacated to take things. Wrong, changed the locks. She had her friend take a report and skip the detectives and take it to the court. She moved away with her, had been cheating on me boyfriend, and it still has not gone to trial. The courts say she does not have to appear in court. It is as though I am having to prove my innocence rather than than prove my guilt. 26 months have passed and my attorney tells me the longer the better. It will go away. It isn't. I have lost my job due to this, and haven't been able to get a new one. I am going bankrupt because of this. I have been hired by a new company, but they can't let me start until this is done, becuse of backround checks. I tried to go back in the Marines, and they say it must clear first. How long will this continue? Are there no limitations? How long can it pend without going to trial? When this is done will I have any recourse? Can anyone give me any insight? Thanks.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

The New York bar needs to correct me if I am wrong, but if your lawyer will notice up a motion to set your trial, that should do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">