• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2C:18-3 "Defiant Trespassing" on railway track

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seawolf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hello Sir,
Currently I am facing the charge of "Defiant Trespassing" and I need to attend the court next week.

last month ~9 PM while I was returning from an office party little drunk.On my way to light rail station, rather than walking on the pavement I walked on the tracks for ~10 feet and got onto the platform. Unfortunately there is a cop on gaurd and he charged me with 2C:18-3 "Defiant Trespassing". I know I have commited mistake and am guilty for being stupid. Please help me in answering the below questions. I am not a citizen of US and this is my first time to attend a court. Cop does know that I am drunk.
1) What is the maximum fine/punishment if I plead guilty?
2) I know I did the mistake and no cannot plead "NOT GUILTY", so do I get any advantage by hiring an attorney?
3) Will this be reflected in my records on SSN?
4) On the receipt Cop gave me , it has no reference to me being drunk. So can I hide it from judge or does he get a detailed report from cop?

xylene

You should definitely plead not guilty and get a lawyer, or get a lawyer before court and do what they tell you.

A railroad trespass is a serious matter, and you have exacerbating facts (being drunk)that you would rather have not come to light...

Only a lawyer can do that without risking accidentally perjuring yourself or otherwise not being able to mount a defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">