• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd degree assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorriedInNyc

What is the name of your state? New York City
My cousin was arrested on charges of second degree assault and I want to know how bad the situation could potentially get and based on the facts does he have a good chance of beating the charge.

He was invited by a female friend to go with her to a party at a lounge given by a former coworker which he declined she then told him that she'd probably go alone. The night of the party he was at a nearby nightclub with another friend. He called his female friend and asked her if she was at the lounge she said yes he then told her that he would stop by after he left the nightclub. When he arrived at the lounge he saw his friend there with someone who he recognized as this guy that his friend was seeing at one point who had assaulted her about 2 months ago and whom she claimed to have been done with because of that incident. My cousin asked her what she was doing there with the guy and she told him that that she had spoken to him earlier and made the mistake of telling him where she was going and he just showed up. The guy asked my cousin if he wanted a drink he declined the offer until his female friend told him that the drink would be placed on her card. While he was gone his female friend told him that she felt uncomfortable around the guy and wanted to leave. My cous told her that he was gonna leave and either go to another club or would drop her home if she would like. She told him ok but she would have to get her card back. He waited she asked the guy for her card he got it and gave it back to her. My cous then asked her if she was ready then the other guy looking confused then angry approached him and said what the f&$k did you say? Then my cous repeated to the guy what he said to his friend. The guy then replied "I'll kill you motherf&$ker" then swung at him. My cousin then swung at him glass in hand they were then engaged in fighting my cousin got the best of the guy in the fight and the guy was all bloody and cut from the glass the bouncers broke it up. The police came and both were taken to the hospital the other guy had to get stitches in the head my cous had to get stitches in the hand and a tetanus shot for a bite from the guy and glass. My cous got arrested because his female friends statement matched the guys statement (that my cousin walked in the lounge picked up a glass and hit him in the head for no reason) whom she referred to as her boyfriend to the police!! Cousin is now being charged with assault in the second degree. The DA recommended $7500 bail the judge didnt even let it get out her mouth. He said The defendant is free to go. He now has a court date coming up in a few months pending a grand jury hearing. He doesnt know why the girl is lying but he thinks its out of fear.
My cousin has no criminal record whatsoever. Should I be worried. Should he be worried.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

tontıs

ınfo

undefinedstate ıs nevada.ı would lıke to more ınfo cases about bad check.and what happens ıf you have proof that he/she ıs not the person who wrotes these checks.
also another questıon person who ıs ın jaıl ın newjersey now.but hıs cases drop month ago.but he has a detanıer from another state but he dosent sıgn any paper to go other state.how long they can keep hım ın jaıl or what ıs law for.please gıve me ınformatıon asap.

You Are Guilty

tontıs said:
undefinedstate ıs nevada.ı would lıke to more ınfo cases about bad check.and what happens ıf you have proof that he/she ıs not the person who wrotes these checks.
also another questıon person who ıs ın jaıl ın newjersey now.but hıs cases drop month ago.but he has a detanıer from another state but he dosent sıgn any paper to go other state.how long they can keep hım ın jaıl or what ıs law for.please gıve me ınformatıon asap.
Who let you out of the asylum again, Mr. Manson?

i'm not a lawyer but it sounds to me like unless the girl tells the truth or unless there is another witness, the bartender or bouncer perhaps that can say that all 3 had been talking. Then that would help show that the girl and the bad guy were lying bc they said your cousin just walked in and hit him... good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">