• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd time caught driving on suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tatie

What is the name of your state? Colorado.

My son was caught driving on a suspended license for the 2nd time in 3 months. Until now, he was supposed to get his license back next June 2007. But I've been told that if a person is caught driving on a suspended license for the 2nd time, the penalty is mandatory jailtime in the state of Colorado. Is this true?

My son's court date was December 1st, but he did not go because he had been told by some friends that he would be thrown in jail (so he avoided appearing in court altogether).

I probably need a lawyer at this point, but my real question is, is jail time mandatory when caught for driving under a suspended license for the 2nd time. There were no drugs or alcohol involved, and he was not speeding either. He just made a really stupid (wrong) choice. Please advise,

TatieWhat is the name of your state?

moburkes

You don't need a lawyer. Your son does. However, have you even looked up the penalties. You could start with the Department of Motor Vehicles for your state. Or, were you expecting someone here to look them up for you?:rolleyes:

You need to let your son grow up.

First, his license was suspended in the first place, which means that he did something totally wrong.
Then, he drove with a suspended license.
Then, he stupidily got caught AGAIN.
Then, he skipped his court date.
He needs to be in jail, and not on the roads.

Upfront, I apologize for you not wanting to hear this.

tatie

Thank you

Thanks for the quick response.

I agree.

And yes, I have looked on the website for my state. There was no specific advice on this situation, per se. It talked about DUI & DWI suspensions. But he was not caught driving drunk. He was caught driving when he wasn't supposed to be. Oh well.

Que sera sera....

moburkes

All I found, while doing a quick search, is that his license will be suspended AGAIN, for an additional time period. His suspension will just get longer and longer. However, since there is not more than likely a warrant for his arrest, that will land him in jail-as soon as they get a hold of him.

Not smart, your kid. Definitely not smart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">