• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

484 Petty theft incident: HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjustzment

Hi I reside in Gardena, California.

I recently got booked of petty theft (exact penal code is 484(a)) at a department store. I was jailed for 6 hrs., and was sent home with a ticket to appear in court.

My concern is if I appear in court, what is going to happen from there? Am I going to pay a fine? Or am I going to have to pay a fine and do community service... hopefully I don't get imprisoned... right? :confused:

Hence, this is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me. I have a clean record.

Last edited:

grasmicc

"first time anything like this has ever happened to me."

I take it you committed the crime charged?

Why do you view it as something that "happened to you" rather than something that occurred because of something you did? I'm just curious.

Assuming whatever you stole is worth less than $400 (or $100 if it is an avocado (I'm not making this up)), then:

Jail-time is extraordinarily unlikely under these circumstances. Theoretically jail time could be up to 6 months and a fine of $1K.

mycarlb

adjustzment said:

My concern is if I appear in court, what is going to happen from there? Am I going to pay a fine?

What do you mean "if" you appear in court... if you are thinking of not going then you are opening up another HUGE can of worms for yourself

Happy Trails

mycarlb said:
What do you mean "if" you appear in court... if you are thinking of not going then you are opening up another HUGE can of worms for yourself

I agree, it appears they plan on skipping town.

People do stupid things and then they compound it by fleeing. :rolleyes:

HomeGuru

adjustzment said:

I recently got booked of petty theft (exact penal code is 484(a)) at a department store. I was jailed for 6 hrs., and was sent home with a ticket to appear in court.

My concern is if I appear in court...

**A: as opposed to not appearing and moving to Mexico?

adjustzment

I do plan to appear in court. I don't plan to 'skipping' to another town.

I just want to get a clear picture of what is going to happen when I make an appearance, just so there aren't any surprises and I'm ready for the unexpected.

CdwJava

484(a) is simply the definition of theft. As Grasmicc posted, the value of the item will be important ... and, if they can determine whether or not you entered the store with the intent to steal. You COULD be facing a commercial burglary charge (unlikely, but possible).

You will likely be able to get DA diversion of some kind where this will be removed from your record after a year or two of good behavior and no repeat offenses.

Talk to a private attorney or a public defender when one is assigned.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">