• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

5th degree theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slacrest741

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I'm 18 and was just caught shoplifting and charged with 5th degree theft for a $3.59 item. It is my first offense of any kind. My court date is My 3rd and i was wondering what my punishment will potentially be and if a private attorney would be worth it over a public deffender. Also what are my chances of getting into a diversion program and having this deferred? Thank you!

FlyingRon

If you can afford a private attorney your chances are unlikely that you will get the option of a public defender. Public defenders are for those who are indigent and can not afford private counsel rather than some default for those unwilling to pay for it. I always recommend counsels when there's a chance (however slight) of jail time. Your chances of getting a diversion are better with one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">