• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accidental case of shop lifting due to not paying attention.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheAce

Pennsylvanian Law

Hello, I accidentally took a $1.25 used car sale catalog ad and I want to return it and pay for it's cost but it was at a gas station and shop lifting is a serious offence.

I didn't know that the car ad had a price and only noticed the price when I came home.

I was talking to a police officer about a hit and run incident yesterday at the same gas station, a different legal manner and I wasn't at fault.

Would the gas station call the police and arrest me for returning a car sales ad that I accidentally took a few hours ago?

They are not going to have you arrested but rather laugh with you as you pay the cost and explain what happened. I once had a flat cookie sheet in my cart and neglected to put it on the counter as if was kind of invisible along the side. I went running back in and we all laughed as they kidded me about watching me from now on!!!

TheAce

Good news, I returned the item and paid for it at cost and he (the cashier) said it was alright. I asked him for the receipt and bag to make sure that it didn't look like I steal it. If somebody wants to come up to me and said I was shop lifting, I would show the police officers my reciept. Man I must be uber paranoid. At least I should relax more at a Maryland beach. Far far away from PA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">