• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accidental illegal check writing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlainsworth@dig

What is the name of your state? Texas

I had opened a new account from a bank and was given temporary checks. I did not realize that my daughter was also using temporary checks. Without looking or verifying the bank or account number, I put my name, address, and phone number at the top of her temporary checks and signed two of them before noticing the bank was not mine. My daughter is a minor but has her own money in this bank. What can I do to prevent a crime.

Please help

J

jlainsworth@dig

illegal check writing

The checks have already been given to the individual that I wrote the checks to. Her bank and mine are not the same. I do not have access to her bank account so therefore, the bank will notice that the checks were forged (I suspect). Should I contact the bank myself or have her call them? Also, should I contact the individual that I wrote the checks to? I am not even sure that my daughter has enough money to cover the checks.

What a mess.

Please help

Beth3

Then how about giving your daughter the money for the two checks you wrote and making sure she deposits it in her checking account so those checks don't bounce???

The other option is to call the person you gave the checks to, explain the mishap, and if she still has them, ask her to rip them up and you'll immediately give her checks drawn on the correct account.

If your daughter doesn't file a fraud complaint with the bank or police, then I sure doubt the bank will pursue this but if you think the checks may bounce, then it would appear the worst thing you can do is to do nothing. You and your daughter may also contact the bank, explain what happened, and enlist their assistance in getting this straightened out.

No offense but this isn't exactly rocket science - a few phone calls should be able to get the situation corrected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">