• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accidental Theft- Walking Out 2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dw1995

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Say a woman is grocery shopping at Meijer and gets cold, so she goes to the clothing department and puts on a $25 sweatshirt intending to borrow it. She checks out about $200 worth of groceries and walks to the parking lot. A security guard follows her out and makes her aware of the situation. She apologizes and gives the item back. He takes her back into the store and charges her with theft. Who is likely to win in court and why? Criminal side specifically.

eerelations

She will lose. Only a dope (and I'm assuming the judge in this case is not a dope) would believe this woman's story.

FlyingRon

What makes her think you're allowed to "borrow" mechandise?
Even if I believe her story, she's guilty.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Modern Family, season 4, episode 9.

(Too bad you didn't have a pregnant woman with you so she could fake labor pains.)

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Say a woman is grocery shopping at Meijer and gets cold, so she goes to the clothing department and puts on a $25 sweatshirt intending to borrow it. She checks out about $200 worth of groceries and walks to the parking lot. A security guard follows her out and makes her aware of the situation. She apologizes and gives the item back. He takes her back into the store and charges her with theft. Who is likely to win in court and why? Criminal side specifically.
Here is a link to the law under which the woman will be/has been charged, with theft of items under $1000 being a first degree misdemeanor:

ORC 2913.02 Theft: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2913.02

What a prosecutor needs to prove to support the charge is to show the court that property belonging to another (Meijer's) was taken without consent of the owner with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of the property (removed from the store without paying for it). The "intent to deprive" element is one that often forms the basis of a defense to the crime (unless there is some question as to ownership, which is not the case here).

The chances of the woman winning in court seem slim at best - although if this is her first offense, she may be eligible for a diversion program.

Dandy Don

What makes you OR HER think that she had the right to "borrow" clothing that she had not paid for???????? How old is the lady and is there a question about her mental competence?

dw1995

This was all purely hypothetical. As someone pointed out, it was in an episode of Modern Family. I was just curious. Thanks for the replies though!

NellieBly

This was all purely hypothetical. As someone pointed out, it was in an episode of Modern Family. I was just curious. Thanks for the replies though!
Why not use your time for intellectual pursuits rather than mindless sitcoms?

Just askin'

Just Blue

Gee whiz, if I wanted to buy a used sweatshirt I would go to Goodwill and get one cheaper.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I actually got a REALLY REALLY nice table from Goodwill. But I would never get cloth. There might be bodily fluid "issues". TIJMPOV.

I'mTheFather

Really? Clothing can be washed. Sometimes furniture comes with critters that can be very damaging and are difficult to eradicate. Just saying'...:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">