• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accomplice to shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kekep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hello, I apologize if this is a little long, just wanted to get all information out there.

I was at the dog park yesterday and spoke with a girl there that I see often. I mentioned that I had to go to tractor supply, and she asked if she could come with me. She asked if we could take my car because hers was almost out of gas. On the way, I realized that I had left my debit card at home, and asked if I could just pay her back the next day at the dog park. She agreed, and we went in and started to fill up the cart. Once we got to the food section, she was acting a little weird. At first I thought it was because I was wracking up quite the bill (horses are expensive!) but she started to comment on how the cart was too heavy and I couldn't put in more things that would slow it down. As we headed towards the front of the store, she told me she wanted to stay and look around at the boots and gloves and asked if I would go to the car to make sure the dogs were alright. Also, she didn't want me to have to walk around on my crutches too much (forgot to mention I was on crutches). When I got near the door, I slipped and fell and the woman at the cash register came to help me up. While I was down, the girl that I was with walked out the front door without paying.

I hadn't seen her walk out, and I sat down to take a moment after the fall (luckily didn't fall on my stitches, so was more of a freak out than anything). I sat on my phone for a little bit to pass the time. At this point the manager comes running out and sprints out the door with a few other employees. I realize at this time that I don't know where my "friend" was. Then they come back inside with the cart of all of our stuff! After asking what happened, I apologized profusely and offered to give them all my info. I sat around for a little to see if they needed me, and when they didn't walked out of the store. I had no way to contact the girl I was with and I saw her walking into a store, so I went in there to talk to her.

She was freaking out, asking me if the cops were called, etc. I asked her if she had anything else that she stole on her (no) and she begged me to give her a ride back to her car because she had no way to get back home. Obviously I should have said no, but I agreed to as long as she was willing to walk away from the store because I didn't want to be a part of all of this. I went across the street and waited, didn't see her so went to drive away, then as I was about to leave I saw her on the other side of the road and picked her up. I opened up to her in the car about how a while ago I tried shoplifting (was never charged for this) and how it wasn't worth it to ruin your life for, how she should write them a letter apologizing, etc. She spent the rest of the ride crying and apologizing, I dropped her off, and that was that.

Or so I thought - today, I was called into the police office. I told them the entire story. They want me to help them find her (which I agreed to do), and said that unless they can find her they want to charge me with accessory to felony shoplifting. Obviously, I am going to do my best to help them find this girl. But I'm so freaked out! I don't know what else to do. He said he thinks I'm telling the truth because what I said lines up exactly with what eyewitnesses had to say, but that I need to understand how the tapes can be skewed to look like I am purposely falling to help her escape. I had no previous knowledge that she was going to steal OVER $300 OF MERCHANDISE. What will happen if I'm charged with this? The police officer mentioned that he could potentially get it lowered to a misdemeanor. What would that mean for me then? Should I get a lawyer?

FlyingRon

Once you knew the crime was committed your helping her get away is accessory after the fact. If you have identified her, I doubt there really isn't much more for you to do, the cops are presumably not complete idiots. The fact you promptly reported this really diminishes any accessory after the fact charge. Accessory after the fact for felonies is a class 1 misdemeanor. Frankly, I would cease contact with the police and insist on a lawyer being present if they feel it is necessary to question your further.

kekep

Once you knew the crime was committed your helping her get away is accessory after the fact. If you have identified her, I doubt there really isn't much more for you to do, the cops are presumably not complete idiots. The fact you promptly reported this really diminishes any accessory after the fact charge. Accessory after the fact for felonies is a class 1 misdemeanor. Frankly, I would cease contact with the police and insist on a lawyer being present if they feel it is necessary to question your further.
I didn't report it myself, the police officer contacted me (one of the men wrote down my plates, even though I offered to give them all info inside) and I agreed to come in. I don't know her last name, but I told him I was willing to go to the dog park and look for her/ask around.

As for helping her get away - that sucks. I really wish I had thought about that. We were a 15 minute drive from her car and it was dark outside and she didn't have a phone, so there was no way I was going to just leave her there, and I figured I could take that time to talk to her the way that that guy had spoken to me about the wrongs of shoplifting. I didn't get the impression that the people inside the store called the police, so I thought they were going to drop it and I took it as my opportunity to knock some sense into her the way someone else had knocked it into me.

Do you really think I should contact a lawyer? I can't really afford it (I'm in college), but obviously if I need to I will. He told me that he would extend the case for 2 months, and at the end he would have to wrap it up and charge someone, so if I can't find her he will "leave it to the prosecutor". I'm so frustrated because I'm trying my absolute best here! He says because I was on my phone while the manager was looking for my "friend", that I was sending her messages warning her. But that makes no sense, considering eyewitnesses saw me go into a store to speak with her because I had no way of getting in contact with her.

justalayman

When I got near the door, I slipped and fell and the woman at the cash register came to help me up. While I was down, the girl that I was with walked out the front door without paying.
boy was that convenient for your friend. I wonder what her plans were if you hadn't fallen. Maybe just make a mad dash for the door and try to outrun the employees that would chase her?

I hadn't seen her walk out, and I sat down to take a moment after the fall (luckily didn't fall on my stitches, so was more of a freak out than anything). I sat on my phone for a little bit to pass the time
so how long were you just passing the time? and since you were hurt, that would be unusual. People in pain usually don't get on their phone to pass the time. If you were not hurt, then what was the purpose of not going to your car?

On the way, I realized that I had left my debit card at home, and asked if I could just pay her back the next day at the dog park.
so you were going to borrow hundreds of dollars from a girl that you do not know her last name nor where she lives and only know her through seeing her at the dog park? She must be really really dumb.

But I'm so freaked out! I don't know what else to do. He said he thinks I'm telling the truth because what I said lines up exactly with what eyewitnesses had to say, but that I need to understand how the tapes can be skewed to look like I am purposely falling to help her escape
so what sounds like a faked situation to allow her to steal the merchandise actually looks like it was faked on the video tape. Remember, if it comes down to it, a judge or jury will see that video tape and they will be allowed to make their own determination of whether it appears to be faked or not.

maybe I've become a bit jaded but I don't believe a single word of your story.

Proserpina

boy was that convenient for your friend. I wonder what her plans were if you hadn't fallen. Maybe just make a mad dash for the door and try to outrun the employees that would chase her?

so how long were you just passing the time? and since you were hurt, that would be unusual. People in pain usually don't get on their phone to pass the time. If you were not hurt, then what was the purpose of not going to your car?

so you were going to borrow hundreds of dollars from a girl that you do not know her last name nor where she lives and only know her through seeing her at the dog park? She must be really really dumb.

so what sounds like a faked situation to allow her to steal the merchandise actually looks like it was faked on the video tape. Remember, if it comes down to it, a judge or jury will see that video tape and they will be allowed to make their own determination of whether it appears to be faked or not.

You're not alone ;)

kekep

I'm not sure what her plan was, I'm guessing she was going to try and slip out anyways (as evidenced by her talking about the weight of the cart) and me falling down made a perfect opportunity for her. I didn't land on my stitches - I wasn't hurt, it was just a little scary. I wanted to leave when I stood up, but the lady at the cash register was concerned and asked me to stay. My stuff added up to about $150, I can't say anything about that other than we've talked every time I've seen her at the dog park and I don't think she had any reason to mistrust me. She even talked about bringing her horse to board with mine. I'm glad that there is a video tape, if what you say is true then it can only help my case.

I'm sorry you don't believe me, I can't really do much to convince you one way or the other. Just ask for advice.

justalayman

I'm sorry you don't believe me, I can't really do much to convince you one way or the other.
don't be sorry and don't bother trying to convince me because it won't happen. Just take it for what it is;

an un-involved party that read your description of what you say happened says it is not believable. Take it for what it's worth.

Just ask for advice.
it may be too late to take your head out of the noose but should you be contacted again, do not speak to the cops without first consulting a lawyer.

. I'm glad that there is a video tape, if what you say is true then it can only help my case.
Huh? You said this:

but that I need to understand how the tapes can be skewed to look like I am purposely falling to help her escape.
it sounds like that tape has pulled the noose tight and all you are waiting for now is the drop floor to drop (the cops coming and arresting you)

Last edited:

kekep

don't be sorry and don't bother trying to convince me because it won't happen. Just take it for what it is;

an un-involved party that read your description of what you say happened says it is not believable. Take it for what it's worth.

it may be too late to take your head out of the noose but should you be contacted again, do not speak to the cops without first consulting a lawyer.

Huh? You said this:

it sounds like that tape has pulled the noose tight and all you are waiting for now is the drop floor to drop (the cops coming and arresting you)
That's fine, thank you for your advice. I didn't mean that it looked like me falling was fake. I meant that the fact that I arrived with her, and that she left after I fell. This case would have been a lot easier if I hadn't fell down, so I can see why that could look bad. But if what you say is true, if they will be able to tell between a fake fall and a real one, then I will be okay! :) Can I request that someone looks at the tape to prove I didn't fall on purpose? I won't speak with him any more about the case via e-mail but I am keeping in touch with him about ideas for finding her and what I am doing to find her.

justalayman

I was under the impression somebody already looked at whatever tape there might be and determined it looked to be a staged fall.

anyway: do not speak to anybody about this and if the police contact you again, plan on hiring a lawyer. Given your story, I would suggest starting the search for a lawyer now so you are prepared for when they do arrest you.

kekep

I was under the impression somebody already looked at whatever tape there might be and determined it looked to be a staged fall.

anyway: do not speak to anybody about this and if the police contact you again, plan on hiring a lawyer. Given your story, I would suggest starting the search for a lawyer now so you are prepared for when they do arrest you.
Oh no! That's not the case. I am so nervous that where I really screwed up was telling him that I shoplifted a while ago. I was never arrested for it, so it wasn't on my record, but I was just trying to be completely honest about why I picked her up. Bleh. I'm so awful at this, I've just dug myself into this deep hole! I will try contacting a lawyer tomorrow, I really appreciate all of the advice that you have given me. I was hoping to use this forum to ease my mind, but it's done quite the opposite.

Sell the horse, hire a lawyer.
You want to buy a horse?? :) Thank you for the advice.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What foot did you injure causing you to be on crutches? And how can you drive a car with stitches in your foot?

Eekamouse

This is the largest load of malarky I have ever read. OP, your story not only is completely unbelievable, it is also quite improbable. You don't seriously think you are going to pull off this fantasy of not knowing or being a part of "her" plan to shoplift, do you? And shoplifting from a feed store? How were you guys planning on getting all the stuff you stole into your car without anyone noticing?

dave33

This is the largest load of malarky I have ever read. OP, your story not only is completely unbelievable, it is also quite improbable. You don't seriously think you are going to pull off this fantasy of not knowing or being a part of "her" plan to shoplift, do you? And shoplifting from a feed store? How were you guys planning on getting all the stuff you stole into your car without anyone noticing?

It's about time someone called this post what it is "malarky".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">