• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accosting/soliciting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

detroit123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hi,

I was driving in a detroit side street, I was turning right and there's a woman there about to cross the street, I slow down thinking she's going to cross but she doesn't so I make a right she's quite pretty so I drive slowly appreciating her pretty face and feeling flirty I ask her if she needs a ride and then suddenly out of nowhere a cop vice car appears and handcuffs the girl and I, I hadn't even made a complete stop!

Well, he says he knows what we are doing and I tell the cop I was just saying "hey there, how are you"? to the girl, I was so nervous. Anyways, he gets the girl to confess that she's a working girl but I keep insisting that I wasn't looking to pick up a prostitute that I only saw her, she was attractive was in front of my car and I said "hi", that's it. Well, they get the girl inside the car (and I'm thinking maybe she's a cop pretending to be a working girl even after the cop questions us) and he gives me a ticket for "accosting/solicitation" (38-9-5) while threatening to take my car and also take me to jail.

The girl didn't look like a working girl and I honestly didn't think she was one, it was at night and cold, I was truly offering her a ride. I had heard about the detroit police but didn't really think they were that corrupt.

What are my options, can I fight this? I can't really see how I would lose, I was thinking of defending myself but now I hear about all the corruption in detroit so that got me scared so I'm thinking about hiring a lawyer.

What are my chances if I defend myself? If I choose to hire a lawyer how much does that cost me? If the case is dismissed do I still have to pay court costs?

I feel like someone punched me in the stomach, thank you very much for you guys advising people, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

So she was a working girl. Let's see. Late at night, offering a complete stranger a ride....sounds like Eddie Murphy to me.

Get an attorney. You're gonna need one.

detroit123

So then my question is can they convict you of solicitation bc you offered a girl a ride, even if she turned out to be a prostitute?

So she was a working girl. Let's see. Late at night, offering a complete stranger a ride....sounds like Eddie Murphy to me.

davew128

When I was a teenager and a LOT more naive than I am now, I occasionally ran into women thumbing for rides late at night and with two exceptions, they were all other either prostitutes or VERY deranged women. That said, OP might be on the young and naive side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">