• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of 2 misdemeanors but charged with a felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

noel

If two crimes were committed seperately, each at a different location and involving different victims, each for an amount under $500 (but over $500 combined), can they combine these two charges together and charge you with a felony theft? Can they legally arrest you on a felony charge? Will they have to reduce it to a misdemeanor when it goes to court? Is there a law that I can quote to back this up? I already know that this is not supposed to be done, but it was done to me. I was told that the judge did not have to reduce the charge if he didn't want to. Help!!!

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by noel:
If two crimes were committed seperately, each at a different location and involving different victims, each for an amount under $500 (but over $500 combined), can they combine these two charges together and charge you with a felony theft? Can they legally arrest you on a felony charge? Will they have to reduce it to a misdemeanor when it goes to court? Is there a law that I can quote to back this up? I already know that this is not supposed to be done, but it was done to me. I was told that the judge did not have to reduce the charge if he didn't want to. Help!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't get the board to allow me onto your other post regarding Grand Jury.
So here it is..
A grand jury is a panel of citizens that their purpose is to decide what crimes to prosecute a person for. There may be witnesses called in before the GJ, and also evidence is presented by the Prosecuting Atty.

This panel will decide if you are going to be prosecuted or tried for the misdeamenors or if they will conisder them a felony. The canalso decide that there isnt enough evidence to proceed at this time and leave it open for another go in the future...

J

JamesMc

I'm not a lawyer but...

I would think it's smarter to try to fight the felony charge than to try to force the judge to do what he doesn't want to do, so you don't end up with two severely-punished misdemeanors instead of one lightly-punished felony. But don't plead guilty to the felony charge!!

N

nuyuky

You need to be sharp on this one. Listen, I mean read closely. This is what is happening. The prosecution is trumping charges. The reason they do this is to intimidate you into submission and plea a charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">