• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of hit and run ... Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

capacit0r

What is the name of your state? TN

I recieved a letter from local law enforcement that my license plate was recorded leaving the scene of an accident (damage between $50-$200). I contacted the officer via phone to state that I would like to answer his questions, but that I was concerned about possibly criminal liability, so we did not discuss the details of the accident. He requested that I come in to give a statement, to which I agreed on a time for next week.

Some details about the accident: I have no damage on my car. Hit and run is a class C misdemeanor in TN. I have not admitted guit to the other person's car insurance (I said I do not recall the details of the accident), and have requested that I settle the other person's incurred costs without involving my insurance company (i am fully covered). I let the officer know that I talked to on the phone that I was in the process of making things right with the other driver.

QUESTION: >>
When I go in for a statement should I (1) say I do not recall the details of the accident or (2) say that there was an ambulance going down the street (this is true) and that my attention was diverted, so I did not notice our two cars nudging, if there was a nudge.

Thank-you very much for your advice and your time.

BelizeBreeze

Settling with the victim has nothing to do with the criminal charges. And if I had been your attorney I'd have beat the living crap out of you for attempting to do so.

Don't have an attorney? Then I suggest you get one before speaking with the police again.

C

capacit0r

I was under the assumption that settling is not an admission of guilt. How would settling with the victim affect a criminal judgement, if as you say, the two are separate? Also, I should specify that I have not talked to the victim yet, nor have I offered to settle -- only inquired about the damages with the other person's insurance company and suggested that we not get my insurance company involved.

Do I really need an attorney? Wouldn't the victim (being the only witness) have to go to court to testify against me? Couldn't I talk with the victim and persuade them to call the police and ask for the charges to be dropped if I take care of their damages?

C

capacit0r

OK. I'll look into getting a lawyer. Would they charge a flat fee in my situation? Could someone give me a rough estimate of the amount of money I can expect to spend on one (I understand this is difficult to estimate, but just a ballpark figure will do). Thanks in advance for your responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">