• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of Petty Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TerpFan123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Friends and I were out camping on a beach this past weekend and we were awakened by park rangers/ officers informing us that we had been accused for stealing other campers property. They asked if they could search my cooler and I said yes. They took a beer out of the cooler, and from what I understand, they used the serial number to match the beer to another in a trash bag which we had thrown away earlier. Inside that trash bag were other beer cans that they said belonged to these other campers. They said that unless one of us confessed to stealing the beer, they would write us all citations for stolen property. The outcome was the latter. There are no pictures, videos, or any other physical evidence except for the victims account that it was us. I assume they thought we did it because we we're the only ones left on the beach in the morning, but there were other groups throughout the night. I would really appreciate any advice.

FlyingRon

If you were cited, consult an attorney. The case would appear week. While beer has lot (not serial) numbers, just because you had in your possession beer that had been in the same lot as those reported stolen, it's a pretty weak case. I'm not even sure what the significance of matching the beer in YOUR trash to the stolen items is. Your lawyer will determine what the actual prosecution case is and how to defend it. Of course, you should be up front with him (after you are in an attorney-client relationship) if you actually did steal the beer in question.

davew128

Seriously? All having the same lot numbers proves is that both parties could have bought the beer at the same 7-Eleven before camping, and that's NOT so unlikely.

TigerD

1. Never consent to searches.
2. Never answer questions without consulting your attorney.
3. Repeat after me:
I respectfully decline to answer any questions without consulting with my attorney first.
I don't consent to any searches
Are you detaining me or am I free to go?

TD

PS: Stealing a car, shoplifting, boosting a stereo - these I understand. But, stealing someone's beer is just really low.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">