• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accusing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lmhoy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was recently accused of stealing money from my former employer, a credit union. My drawer was short at the end of the day and I told my co-worker and we both looked for it. The next day I told my boss about it and we looked for again. The money never showed up and now I'm accused of stealing it because it is nowhere to be found (I didn't take it). At the police interview today, the detective told me that the investigation showed I took the money, I asked how it showed that and he didn't tell me anything. He kept pressuring me to tell him why I took and I kept telling him I didn't. He kept pushing me and pushing me to tell him I took it, and I finally did ( I didn't take it). I don't know what my legal options are now or what could happen. If they had proof I took it, wouldn't they have arrested me right then and there? HELP!!! I've never been in trouble befor in my life.

dave33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was recently accused of stealing money from my former employer, a credit union. My drawer was short at the end of the day and I told my co-worker and we both looked for it. The next day I told my boss about it and we looked for again. The money never showed up and now I'm accused of stealing it because it is nowhere to be found (I didn't take it). At the police interview today, the detective told me that the investigation showed I took the money, I asked how it showed that and he didn't tell me anything. He kept pressuring me to tell him why I took and I kept telling him I didn't. He kept pushing me and pushing me to tell him I took it, and I finally did ( I didn't take it). I don't know what my legal options are now or what could happen. If they had proof I took it, wouldn't they have arrested me right then and there? HELP!!! I've never been in trouble befor in my life.

Being dishonest is legal and a common tactic used by detectives.

If they had the evidence they needed to charge you than you would have been arrested.

Most likely all you had to do was remain silent. Since you didn't you have a
problem.

You have confessed. They have the evidence they need now.

You will probably be charged and begin the criminal court process.

This is where you learn the lesson of not making a statement to the police.

Lmhoy

Accused

Even though I feel he "bullied" me to admit it and even after that I repeatedly said I didn't take it, they can still charge me? I brought up wanting a lawyer and he still kept talking to me. Can he do that? Should I get a lawyer anyway even if I haven't formally been charged of anything?

dave33

Even though I feel he "bullied" me to admit it and even after that I repeatedly said I didn't take it, they can still charge me? I brought up wanting a lawyer and he still kept talking to me. Can he do that? Should I get a lawyer anyway even if I haven't formally been charged of anything?
They "bully" people all the time. Common tactic.

Yes than can still charge you. If you are charged the report
will certainly NOT indicate you were denied an attorney.

Although technically any statement given after you asked for
an attorney (and denied) should get tossed, that may not be the
case.

You may want to wait until you get charged. Maybe look around and talk
to a few. 1st consultation is usually free. Give yourself an idea of who
you want to call if you do get charged.

Lmhoy

I know there are cameras on the tellers at all times, I was there when the new system was installed. The only "evidence" I think they could have would be paper evidence which is of course going to say it came from me, it was my drawer that was short. As for physical, actual evidence, there can't be any because I DIDN'T TAKE IT!!! What I'm thinking is, they don't have any actual evidence, that's why he asked me to come in and pushed me to admit I took it. If the investigation already showed I took it, he wouldn't have had to talk to me, he would already have talked to the prosecuting attorney and I would have been charged and arrested at this point. When I asked how the investigation showed I took it, he didn't answer me. This whole mess started on March 14, that's when my drawer came up short. I think this would have gone on a lot farther and faster than it has if there was evidence. I'm seriously thinking about consulting with a lawyer to see what my legal options are, and to talk about fighting this. I'm not going down for something I didn't do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">