• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

acused of fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

airsign_sammie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca
This ex friend of mine asked me to order her new debit cards and to use them to put money on her book and send money to her friends. She even said i could barrow money as long as i gave it back. well she got out of jail and i'm still waiting on my tax check to pay her back. she got out and went to the police claiming i stole all her money and she had no idea i got her cards. I still have the tablet with her had writing, giving me all her info from her cards to her netfixs to her myspace and facebook accounts. the police have come into the place where i was staying and took my tv and stuff. what do i do? i'm worried cuz now the person is threating me and my friends and family.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca
This ex friend of mine asked me to order her new debit cards and to use them to put money on her book and send money to her friends. She even said i could barrow money as long as i gave it back. well she got out of jail and i'm still waiting on my tax check to pay her back. she got out and went to the police claiming i stole all her money and she had no idea i got her cards. I still have the tablet with her had writing, giving me all her info from her cards to her netfixs to her myspace and facebook accounts. the police have come into the place where i was staying and took my tv and stuff. what do i do? i'm worried cuz now the person is threating me and my friends and family.
Get an attorney and don't speak to the police without one.

dmcc10880

Sounds like she got a civil judgment against you and the police (like sheriff) came to satisfy that judgment.

She can't just go to the police and say "I want my money back" and they stroll on over and grab you goods.

You weren't served a civil suit? You'd better check out the small claims court records in your county and see if your name shows up. It would show date of filing, date of service, disposition, etc..

If you were not properly served, that would be grounds to have the judgment overturned. Then sue her to get your items back.

Antigone*

Sounds like she got a civil judgment against you and the police (like sheriff) came to satisfy that judgment.

She can't just go to the police and say "I want my money back" and they stroll on over and grab you goods.

You weren't served a civil suit? You'd better check out the small claims court records in your county and see if your name shows up. It would show date of filing, date of service, disposition, etc..

If you were not properly served, that would be grounds to have the judgment overturned. Then sue her to get your items back.
It sounds to me like a criminal complaint was filed and the police picked up evidence in that complaint. The OP should be expecting a second knock at the door ~ the one that will come when they have the warrant for her arrest.

dmcc10880

It sounds to me like a criminal complaint was filed and the police picked up evidence in that complaint. The OP should be expecting a second knock at the door ~ the one that will come when they have the warrant for her arrest.
You could very well be right.

Perhaps the OP could maybe enlighten us with more information?

Like, is OP a he or a she?

What did the police say when they came to the place where OP is stayin'? Did they mention they were investigating a crime?

Why would the police take "evidence" that belonged to the OP? After all, she loaned OP money, not a tv and stuff?

Too much leaves too much to the imagination.

tranquility

I agree with Antigone*of*Greece. Be quiet and get an attorney. What a beautiful scam. It will be very difficult for the OP to prove things up and the person WHO WAS IN JAIL will gain benefit from all the money and probably not have to pay it back.

OP you are not going to talk your way out of this one. Do not even try. I believe you, but all the evidence will point to you being guilty. You need an attorney to try and finesse your way out of this very expensive favor.

dmcc10880

I agree with Antigone*of*Greece. Be quiet and get an attorney. What a beautiful scam. It will be very difficult for the OP to prove things up and the person WHO WAS IN JAIL will gain benefit from all the money and probably not have to pay it back.

OP you are not going to talk your way out of this one. Do not even try. I believe you, but all the evidence will point to you being guilty. You need an attorney to try and finesse your way out of this very expensive favor.
Dammit. I didn't keep the thread name in mind. :eek:

Yeah, do what AOG and Tranq advised with respect to speaking with the police and getting a lawyer before they come back with handcuffs for you.

Did you actually sign the paperwork for the debit cards? Do you mean credit cards as a debit card would be attached to a bank account and when the money isn't there, money doesn't come out of the ATM?

At least the ex-friend may have some credibility issues.

But wow. You really need a lawyer.

airsign_sammie

i didn't sign any paper work. she had me call the toll free numbers and had me reorder her cards. and activate them. she had me put money on her books and call up people for her. it was like i was her assistent.

dmcc10880

i didn't sign any paper work. she had me call the toll free numbers and had me reorder her cards. and activate them. she had me put money on her books and call up people for her. it was like i was her assistent.
Please answer the rest of my questions.

In the meantime, do you have anything in writing that authorized you to do what you did? If so, you better get it out and bring it to you lawyer.

Also, make a list of who you sent money to. Are they friends of yours too?

Come on. What's the whole story? We're missing a lot of info if you want help here.

tranquility

Every legal record, the phone which called, the recording of the calls, the pictures at the ATM, everything; will have you alone implicated in the obtaining and use of the card. This is all while the other person was in jail and could not have done any of those things.

A handwritten tablet with all the names, numbers and whatnot is not going to be proof unless you get a handwriting expert to show it is the other's writing. Even then, it would not be proof you had the right to do what you did.

You have a problem. Stop talking your way into more of a problem and get an attorney. Your ex friend scammed you. You may be responsible to compensate her for the money taken and you may go to jail. Should you? I don't think so, but I believe you. The police will not be so kind.

Attorney, remain silent. Attorney, remain silent. Attorney, remain silent. Say it over and over in your head.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">