• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An add on question to this one

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

one_swet_pot

:mad: I was also molested by my uncle and I am now 25 years old. I was molested from the time that I was 4 until I was 15. Now that I know that the statute of limitations does keep me from filing charges again (charges were filed but because he was 16 he got off on probation but the abuse continued after this). I want to know if I was to start a website and make true statements about him ( I want him to feel as ashamed as I was) could he later on file charges against me for this? Would it be considered slander?

The correct term is libel...

...since it is written, slander is the spoken word.
To the best of my knowledge Utah is the only state which criminalizes libel, so unless you're in Utah you have no worry on this front.

Now on the civil side you can be sued, but truth is the perfect defense. So, if what you post is true, and can afford to hire an attorney, go for it! Be prepared though, it will I suspect get very ugly.

I speak from experience here having done this very thing from similar motivation.

charlie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">