• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice Needed: Disorderly Conduct in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lys

What is the name of your state? PA

About a month ago, I was charged with disorderly conduct for engaging in an altercation. I will not post a full litany of details here, but to summarize, I stood up to a bully who was screaming at me roughly two inches from my face (I struck her in the face with an open hand in an attempt to get her to back off, after telling her to do so was ineffective). I had total reason to believe she was going to become violent (after all, who "gets into someone's face" with *noble* intentions?), and that was further compounded when, after slapping her in the face, she flew at me and attempted to throw me to the ground (resulting in no less than four permanent scars on my skin). She told the officer that I had pulled her hair, and she was right -- but what she neglected to tell the officer was that I pulled her hair WHILE she was attempting to throw me to the ground.

I have no marks on my record and, as a ten-year veteran of martial arts, am extremely disappointed with myself for how I reacted to a bully. I had been having a rotten day, had just worked roughly 12 hours straight for four days in a row, found one of my pets had died, and was in the middle of finals week (which entailed, of all things, having to practice, perfect, and perform one of Beethoven's symphonies -- that in and of itself will make someone cranky).

Immediately after the altercation, I went home, then called the police. I did not stay at the scene because I have a panic disorder, and felt as if I was going to have a heart attack -- so, I went home (roughly two minutes away) to take my anti-anxiety medication. Took my medication, called the police, spoke with the officer, and was processed several days later.

Honestly, I would like to put this whole incident behind me -- particularly because we're waiting on my husband's permanent residency, and I'd rather not have any marks on my record. I'm thinking about pleading guilty for that reason, as well as the following: 1.) I know that what I did was not right, even if I had sufficient reason for doing so; 2.) I am having trouble reaching an appointed attorney (I work six days a week, since my husband currently can not, and we have one car between the two of us -- thus, if he has to use it [such as he did this morning, when I had a meeting with the court-appointed attorney], I am out of luck). While I would pursue a standard attorney, I make less than $1000 a month -- and our rent is $1050. Having never been involved with the law before, I don't know if payment plans are available.

What it boils down to is the following: If I plead guilty, will I still have the opportunity to present my version of events to the judge? I have literally never done anything wrong in my life -- the worst thing that has ever happened to me was getting a parking ticket, thanks to the signs in Philadelphia's Center City being a bit vague. I'm one of those strange people whose hobbies include things like animal rescue, and candy striping at the local hospital. I just want to put this behind me, as this is literally tearing me apart. I've had to go back on antidepressants, I've started smoking again, and basically my life has gone to hell, all because of a bully.

Please help.

Bravo8

Your life has gone to hel over a minor DC ticket? Seriously?

It's not the end of the world.

The Judge may or may not entertain your request to provide your version. It's really immaterial if you plead guilty.

Lys

Yes, actually.

I'm your quintessential "good kid." I'm your quintessential good kid who's currently involved in immigration proceedings.

To you, yeah, it's nothing. Hell, to most folks, it's nothing.

But it's not a summary charge -- it's a criminal charge. That's what happening to freak me out.

Bravo8

You were charged with the Misdemeanor DC?

Sorry if I mistakenly assumed it was the lesser Summary charge.

If you plead guilty, or are found guilty, you will have that "mark" on your record that you expressed a desire to avoid. Pleading guilty will do nothing except sped up the process.

You could always try to work out a plea agreement to a Summary charge of DC instead of the Misdemeanor. You could avoid the criminal record of a Misdemeanor charge and the hassle of going to trial. Plus, I sincerely doubt the DA's office has an interest in taking a DC charge to trial.

Lys

You're like me in assuming it was a summary charge. After all, I have no prior marks on my record, and the processing officer (who, obviously, knew what he was writing me up for, so to speak) told me that the only reason I would have to go to court would be if I wanted to dispute it. If it was the summary charge, I would have simply asked the court for a payment plan with which to pay off the citation and that would have been that.

Imagine my surprise when I got the notice for a court date. Well, my surprise and downright outrage at being lied to by both the arresting and processing officers.

And, again, since I am the epitome of naivete when it comes to this stuff -- how would I go about pleading this down to a summary charge? I feel that it should never been a misdemeanor charge in the first place, but the officer initially wanted to charge me with simple assault. Riiiight. I'm 5'3" and a size two, the only damage I can inflict upon anyone is a bruise if I decide to kick them in the shins.

Lys

By the way, thanks for your help and patience.

While I'm not an ignoramus, I know a lot more about civil law than criminal law. And, while I've never been involved in either, it can't hurt to learn.

reduced to summory

if its a misdemor the district attorney might offer you to reduce it if you enter a guilty plea. did you enter any plea yet? you might want to enter a not quilty plea til the preliminary hearing to see if he will offer to lower the charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">