• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADVICE PLEASE! operating with a suspended liscense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dannib8806

I'm a 22 year old college student from Massachusetts. I got pulled over by a state trooper one night. I was getting off of the Masspike, through the tolls where there's no marked lanes, and as myself and the car next to me went down a ramp, we realized it was quickly becoming one lane. The other car slowed down and went behind me and I sped up and passed it. A trooper saw me speed up and pulled me over as soon as we got off the ramp and onto the highway. He said the ramp was 25 and I was going 45. The he informed me that my liscense was suspended and that it was apparently ELIGIBLE for reinstatement, but there was $100 reinstatement fee I had not paid, so therefore, it was still technically suspended. The trooper didn't arrest me and let me continue to drive where I was going. The next morning I paid the $100 reinstatement fee and got a new, active copy of my liscense (which is still currently active.) I drove back out to the city I was in when I got pulled over and filed an appeal of the CRIMINAL COMPLAINT before they could actually charge me. I went in to appeal the complaint last week. Long story short, the court magistrate basically did not want to read the paper work I brought in, and decided to file the complaint regardless. At the same time, the trooper representing the state (not the trooper who actually pulled me over) claimed that I had gotten pulled over going 70 in a 65 on the highway I had not even gotten onto yet! This is the SECOND time my liscense was suspended, and I got pulled over AFTER the suspension was over, because I had NO idea it was suspended in the FIRST place, and failed to pay a reinstatement fee. BOTH times I immediately paid it. Last time, the prosecutor agreed to outright dismiss the case following my arraignment (I was not arrested then either but I did not appeal the complaint last time.)

This brings me to my problem:

Do I have the right to an attorney in this case? I know you have to be indigent, and I am, and you have to be facing a possible year[?] or more in jail, which I'm not sure about-I checked mass.gov [http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-23.htm] and it said $500-$1000 fine or 10 days in jail, but then it goes on to say some jibberish about a year in jail and $2500??? I have a spotty driving record (speeding tickets and junk) but no further record, what are my odds of getting this dismissed completely? The problem I'm having mostly is that I'm a pre-law student, I'm planning on taking the LSAT in December. I can't afford to have anything on my record like this (can I?) Even loosing my liscense again means I can't commute to school and would have to drop out-which would essentially ruin my ENTIRE LIFE. Should I blow a couple grand of tuition on a lawyer if I'm not eligible for a court-appointed one? Should I try and settle for a cinderella liscense so I can get back and forth to school atleast and take the charge? Any advice in this arena would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!! THANKS!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">