• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice Required for Misdemeanor Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AliRampurwala

What is the name of your state? NY

I got into an argument outside a bar in NYC. While it was dying down, a third person I had met at the bar, intervened and hit the other person that i was arguing with. The person who got hit called the cops and the cops arrested me. I was taken the precinct and then to central booking NYC. The next day during my arraignment, the judge let me go without bail and has asked to appear again on the 13th of May. Also, during the arraignment they did not mention any charges against me.

The issue is that I was in the US on a business trip and my Visa was about to expire (I did inform the public attorney of this issue and she said she coudnt do much other than get a date of one month instead of a week), I had to leave the country. Now I am currently in India and will not be able to come back to the US before September 2008.

I need to know if an attorney can represent me(proxy) to get an extension. Can I get an extension of upto six months. Also, can this case just be dropped without me ever going back to court.

I also need to know what the likely outcome would be when I go for a hearing ie: will i be sentenced to prison term or a fine will be imposed. I have a clean record with no history ( not even a parking ticket) and moreover this was my first visit to the US.

Also i need to know if it would help, if the person who got hit, goes to the cops and takes back the complaint.

Just Blue

You don't state the statute you were charged under so we can't tell you of the possible outcome. But I will say if you fail to appear in Court as ORDERED by the Judge a warrant will be issued for your arrest. The next time you come to the states you will be arrested and held for extradition to the courts jurisdiction. The charges for FTA will be grater than the original charge.

AliRampurwala

Thank you so much for your response.

During the arraignment, they did not mention what or if i have been charged for. Neither is anything mentioned on the slip that i have recieved which has the date that i have to re-appear.

I am aware that they will issue an arrest warrant if i dont show up. Hence i need to know if an attorney can appear on my behalf and if so what is the maximum extension i can get.

Also if there is someway that the attorney can make this case go away so that i have to never go to court ever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">