• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice on wrongful underage drinking citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kerry18

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping someone here can maybe give me some advice, or at least some hope that I won't get in trouble. I was recently at a concert and I was with a large group of people. Some of them had been drinking and there was alcohol containers all around the blanket I was sitting on. I am underage (18) and I had not been drinking. A plain clothes cop then approached our group and asked how old me and my one frined were. Not thinking I would be in any trouble I told him my age, as did she (she is 18 as well and we were the only people in the froup under 21). He told us to come with him and he took us into the police trailer. I was given a citation for underage posession, consumption, transportation, and purchase of alcohol (in my state all those charges come together). I wasn't sure if signing the citation or not would be an admission of guilt so I asked if I could call my parents or brother and ask them for advice, I was not allowed to do so. I ended up respectfully declining to sign the citation because I didn't want to be admitting any sort of guilt for something I did not do. I told the cop that I was not drinking but was not believed (no surprise). At no point in time was I given any sort of breathalizer or urine test even though I requested one.
I was then released and went home. When I got home my mother and I called our local hospital to try and get a BAC done to prove my innocence, but I needed a Dr.'s order for it. The next morning I got a BAC (which came back zero). I am wondering if I have a good case to fight this or if I should just give in...and if I do fight it can do it myself or if I need a lawyer. I am mostly worried about losing my license and am looking for any way to prevent that from happening.I also plan on getting a signed statement from the girl I was with saying that I did not drink. The thing I am worried about is that the BAC was done about 12 hours after I got in trouble. Would it still be valid after that long. I assume alcohol would stay in your blood at least a day, but I am not sure. Also if I try to fight this and don't win, do you know what sort of punishment I can expect? If anyone can provide any help or advice I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Kerry18 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping someone here can maybe give me some advice, or at least some hope that I won't get in trouble. I was recently at a concert and I was with a large group of people. Some of them had been drinking and there was alcohol containers all around the blanket I was sitting on. I am underage (18) and I had not been drinking. A plain clothes cop then approached our group and asked how old me and my one frined were. Not thinking I would be in any trouble I told him my age, as did she (she is 18 as well and we were the only people in the froup under 21). He told us to come with him and he took us into the police trailer. I was given a citation for underage posession, consumption, transportation, and purchase of alcohol (in my state all those charges come together). I wasn't sure if signing the citation or not would be an admission of guilt so I asked if I could call my parents or brother and ask them for advice, I was not allowed to do so. I ended up respectfully declining to sign the citation because I didn't want to be admitting any sort of guilt for something I did not do. I told the cop that I was not drinking but was not believed (no surprise). At no point in time was I given any sort of breathalizer or urine test even though I requested one.
I was then released and went home. When I got home my mother and I called our local hospital to try and get a BAC done to prove my innocence, but I needed a Dr.'s order for it. The next morning I got a BAC (which came back zero). I am wondering if I have a good case to fight this or if I should just give in...and if I do fight it can do it myself or if I need a lawyer. I am mostly worried about losing my license and am looking for any way to prevent that from happening.I also plan on getting a signed statement from the girl I was with saying that I did not drink. The thing I am worried about is that the BAC was done about 12 hours after I got in trouble. Would it still be valid after that long. I assume alcohol would stay in your blood at least a day, but I am not sure. Also if I try to fight this and don't win, do you know what sort of punishment I can expect? If anyone can provide any help or advice I would appreciate it. Thank you!
You were around people whom had alcohol which was why you got in trouble.

- Tom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">