• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advise needed.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gemini75

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
While my ex fiance and I were still together, he gave me access to his bank account to make payments, transfers and so on. Each pay day he would give me money to pay the bills with and to re pay me for monies owed to me from him. While we were still together a check was made to me through "bill pay" for $ 500.00. When he left my home with no notice I had assumed that that check had been cancelled and I was going to have to fight him to get the $ 800.00 he owed me. I kept emailing and text messaging him asking when he would pay me, he responded once saying sorry he didn't have it. I said ok, when will you have it. I waited 6 days with no response. In the mean time the check had arrived and on that 6th day I cashed the check to pay some of the bills that he owed me for.
He called and stated that he was going to call the police on me to get his money and or get me in trouble. Can I get in trouble for this, what kind, should I speak with the cops when they come if they come and so on. I am unsure how to handle this.
Thank you.

seniorjudge

Gemini75 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina
While my ex fiance and I were still together, he gave me access to his bank account to make payments, transfers and so on. Each pay day he would give me money to pay the bills with and to re pay me for monies owed to me from him. While we were still together a check was made to me through "bill pay" for $ 500.00. When he left my home with no notice I had assumed that that check had been cancelled and I was going to have to fight him to get the $ 800.00 he owed me. I kept emailing and text messaging him asking when he would pay me, he responded once saying sorry he didn't have it. I said ok, when will you have it. I waited 6 days with no response. In the mean time the check had arrived and on that 6th day I cashed the check to pay some of the bills that he owed me for.
He called and stated that he was going to call the police on me to get his money and or get me in trouble. Can I get in trouble for this, what kind, should I speak with the cops when they come if they come and so on. I am unsure how to handle this.
Thank you.
Tell him thank you for the nice check he sent you.

garrula lingua

OP:

quote: I cashed the check to pay some of the bills that he owed me for.

...You shouldn't steal his money because he owes a separate debt to you.

That's theft..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">