• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advise Please/ discharging a firearm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bellazia

Greenville SC, greenville county

I was arrested for discharging a firearm in city limits. I studpidly thought the gun was a toy.

Here is what I have charged with:

Here's the text of the ordinance.

* Sec. 24-263. Discharging firearms. No person, except in cases of urgent necessity, shall discharge or cause to be discharged any firearm in the city. Any firearm so discharged by any minor or disorderly person may, in the discretion of the municipal judge, be forfeited to the city. Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to apply to the discharge of firearms in cases of urgent necessity, or in a shooting gallery, or pursuant to the written permission of the chief of police, or in theatrical or like performances or military or similar displays, or to abridge the right of self defense, or to prohibit or restrain any police duty or any other duty enjoined by law or the shooting of any rabid dog or other dangerous animal.

And the only thing that relates to penalties in the city ordinances is this:

* Sec. 1-5. General penalty; continuing violations. Whenever in this Code, or in any ordinance or resolution of the city, or rule, regulation or order promulgated by any officer or agency of the city under the authority duly vested in him or it, any act is prohibited or is declared to be unlawful or an offense or a misdemeanor, and no specific penalty is provided for the violation thereof, the violation of any such provision of this Code or any such ordinance, resolution, regulation or order shall punished by a fine of not more than $500.00 and/or by imprisonment for not more than 30 days. Each day any violation of this Code or any such ordinance, resolution, rule, regulation or order shall continue shall constitute a separate offense, except where otherwise provided.

I have spoken with a few lawyers today about the situation. My arraignment is next week. My main concern is to keep this off my record. I might mention I have had no other charges against me or traffic violations. I have no money for a lawyer but do not qualify for a public defender. I plan to represent myself and plead not guilty. My main question is the about contacting the prosecutor to discuss some kind of plea before the arraignment. Is this ever done? What should I ask for or how do I address the prosecutor? I plan to contact the arresting officer also. If anyone has any advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">