• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Afraid of the Cable company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freeworldone75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

So about 8 or 9 months ago I decided to downgrade my cable service from Internet and TV to just internet. The tech came out on a sat and installed the filter which blocked everything except the internet. On Sunday I decided that I wanted the TV back but I didn't want to wait until the cable guy could come back out to remove the filter so i took the filter off myself. I figured I could call first thing Monday at work and reconnect everything. Well I got busy at work and didn't get a chance to call but on Monday the auditor or quality assurance guy came and checked, roommate said he looked at the box by the street then left, no notice left and nothing disconnected. By Tuesday afternoon I called and reconnected everything I had and even added a little faster internet. Other then those two days I have been a paying customer for more then 2 years at different addresses. So I was a paying customer for everything I received before the incident and have been for the 8-9 months after. I have not heard anything from them since that, do I need to worry about them coming after me for criminal charges or should I relax. I know from what I have read they would rather have people as customers then prosecute but I am panicking. If they might come after me how soon do they file charges after they find illegal connections? I know I should have waited for the cable guy but I'm terrified now

OHRoadwarrior

What part of theft did you miss? Texas Penal Code - Section 31.12 a misdemeanor. So when you called them, you told them to start charging you as of Sunday and offered to drop off the filter you stole?

ecmst12

It is highly unlikely that they don't know exactly when you turned your TV services back on and have been charging you since that date.

Just Blue

So about 8 or 9 months ago I decided to downgrade my cable service from Internet and TV to just internet. The tech came out on a sat and installed the filter which blocked everything except the internet. On Sunday I decided that I wanted the TV back but I didn't want to wait until the cable guy could come back out to remove the filter so i took the filter off myself. I figured I could call first thing Monday at work and reconnect everything. Well I got busy at work and didn't get a chance to call but on Monday the auditor or quality assurance guy came and checked, roommate said he looked at the box by the street then left, no notice left and nothing disconnected. By Tuesday afternoon I called and reconnected everything I had and even added a little faster internet. Other then those two days I have been a paying customer for more then 2 years at different addresses. So I was a paying customer for everything I received before the incident and have been for the 8-9 months after. I have not heard anything from them since that, do I need to worry about them coming after me for criminal charges or should I relax. I know from what I have read they would rather have people as customers then prosecute but I am panicking. If they might come after me how soon do they file charges after they find illegal connections? I know I should have waited for the cable guy but I'm terrified now
freeworldone75,

This is no longer where you get something for nothing.:rolleyes:

dave33

O.k. let's start with what a reasonable person would think, you took off the filter, got caught and called the co. to install cable because you are afraid of being charged.

That being said.... What's done is done and to worry about it now is a waste of time.

Anything is possible but I think you are o.k. It would be hard to prove that you have done anything. It is odd that when he checked the technician didn't install the filter. Maybe he didn't notice, didn't bother or just simply did not care. Anyway, there's not much you can do now but keep things as they are. In the future if someone does ask you about some improprieties, well, keep quiet.

LdiJ

I'm thinking the roommate is having a bit of fun with the OP.
Could be, but cable companies actually do send someone around to spot check that their technicians did what they were supposed to do. I cancelled a premium channel once and the technician never bothered to actually filter it out. I still had it years later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">