• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

after 2mnths being charged with misd. theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyronn

:confused: What is the name of your state?MN
Okay I'm posting on the criminal side of this because I know that the company that fired me had every right to do so...no matter how much BS it is...I have to explain as best I can everything so bare with me..

I was a department Manager at a major discount department store. On July 25th I was called back to meet with the assett protection team for what I thought was a just a conversation. I realized about 10 minutes in that I was in trouble for something but did not know what... My only guess was that with some recent changes the store had made I had not filled out all the proper paperwork I should have for store bought items...I did however always have permission.

Anyway, Turned out that sometime back in MAY as the dept head I had purchased a store gift card(with store funds) to use for the department. It was used for my team and everything is fine so far. Then in June policies were updated and these kinds of purchases needed to be handled differently. I aparently, but really don't remember when, added more money to the gift card I already had. I was told durning my meeting that someone was sent to me to retreive said gift card when this happened...What I do remember was my manager coming over and asking for any gift cards we had, but she did not mention that I had done anything wrong or that there was any one card in particular that she wanted...I procceded to give her a gift card at that time. It was a while ago and can only assume I thought I gave her all she wanted.
So now it is July and that card in question had not been used until sometime early that month when I checked the balance on the card. Then over the next three days I used the card for personal use...bought myself a couple coffees and lunch...$24. and change in total..

here is were it obviously sounds stupid to even me but I can honestly say that this was a 100% mistake...the gift card looked like any other gift card I had in my wallet...I don't know if it went home with me and I used it the next day...I don't know if I stuck it in my pocket and forgot it and used it later the same day...Not a clue... Except that I am not a moron...I know not to steal...and I admit that technically what happened was stealing...but from what the legal advisors I spoke to originally told me... theft is an intent law and they have to prove I intended to steal..

I spoke to the officer that took my statement right away and she said she did not file the report but sent it to the county attorney who would make a decision....now in early Sept. after many a phone calls I found out that I have been charged and am still waiting for my summons to arrive...Can I fight this...
I mean Does a major corportation really want to ruin my life by first firing an exemplory employee who returned to the company after two years away by their request..they saught me out.. After I had helped them through a major theft issue at another store....not to mention I was 71/2 months pregnant at the time...expecting any day now and this was just a joy to find out today let me tell you and file criminal charges for a $24 mistake???

Well whatever...Any advise would be appreciated... sorry for the over lengthy post...hope someone has some advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">