• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aggressive Driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Man2222

If another driver got out of his car and punched and slammed my window several times trying to break in, in addition to kicking my car (not sure any damage occurred) I believe he left his finger prints all over the window, and i have his license plate. If he would have been able to break in, I am certain bodily injuries would have occurred. Do I have any ability to use the law against the driver? (File charges, possibly sue, or pursue some type of recourse to punish the driver for his actions)

Thanks,
Chase

CdwJava

If another driver got out of his car and punched and slammed my window several times trying to break in, in addition to kicking my car (not sure any damage occurred) I believe he left his finger prints all over the window, and i have his license plate. If he would have been able to break in, I am certain bodily injuries would have occurred. Do I have any ability to use the law against the driver? (File charges, possibly sue, or pursue some type of recourse to punish the driver for his actions)

Thanks,
Chase
If you have incurred damages, you can sue the other party - likely in small claims court. You can also call the police to report what may have been a criminal act. If the act is considered criminal in your unidentified state, then the police might forward the report to the local prosecutor who will decide if there is sufficient cause to pursue criminal charges.

Man2222

The action occurred in Texas.

What are the costs of going to small claims court, assuming I lose.

Regarding the criminal act, what distinguishes a criminal act? does the driver's actions previously described fall in that category?

Thanks

CdwJava

The action occurred in Texas.

What are the costs of going to small claims court, assuming I lose.

Regarding the criminal act, what distinguishes a criminal act? does the driver's actions previously described fall in that category?

Thanks
If there is damage to your vehicle, that could be considered vandalism. If he was trying to strike you, it might be assault. A lot depends on the details of what the other party has to say and what the state thinks it can prove in court.

Here is a link to the Texas Bar and info on small claims actions:

http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Legal_and_Judicial_System&CONTENTID=3869&TEMPLATE=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">