• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aggrevated Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sportula

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Story w/ Fake Names

Jessica - 16 Years Old
Jennifer - 16 Years Old
Me - 19 Years Old
Joe - 19 Years Old

One night, I told Jessica that all Joe was after was sex from Jennifer. Jennifer ended up telling Jessica to protect her friend, but Jessica ended up telling Joe. Joe called one night and started screaming at me "Why are you talking ****" over and over. I decided to just hang up the phone and leave it alone. He kept telling other people that he was going to hurt me for "talking ****".

Last Sunday night, I went up to the local pool hall/bar to shoot pool, Joe approached me and started screaming at me. I started to tell him what was said, but he just kept screaming at me. I decided it wasn't going to accomplish anything so I started to walk away. He then spun me around and sucker-punched me with his rings/brass knuckles on. Then he climbed on top of me and started beating me. When I came to, people were grabbing him and broke it up. I stumbled to the bathroom and cops eventually came. I just gave the cops a first name because I still have not decided whether or not to press charges. I went to the Hospital and it turns out I had a double concussion, 5 broken orbital bones (around my eye) and have to have surgery to fix it.

I know if I press charges, he will end up coming after me. If I don't....the whole thing will drop. My questions are:

1.) If I press charges, what would he be looking at and how much time would he probably end up getting?

2.) If I didn't go after him criminally, could I go after him civilly?

3.) If I went after him civilly...I would want not only want the out of pocket expenses, but the insurance to be paid back, time lost from work, and pain and suffering. Is this realistic?

4.) What's your opinion on what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">