• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alabama state law preventing me from getting firearm.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SmokeDogg251

I was convicted of a third degree theft in the state of alabama. I was told by my lawyer that once i got off of probation since i didnt have any felony convictions that i would be able to purchase a firearm and get a pistol permit. I then find out when i try to make a handgun purchase that there is a state law that says you cannot own/possess a handgun with any theft conviction whether they are misdeomeoner or felony. I am wanting to know if there is any way i can go through any process that would help me be able to legally purchase a handgun and obtain a pistol permit. I am willing to pay any legal fees, go through any legal process, go to court, or whatever to get this done. This world is getting to crazy in this economy to not be protected Any legal advice on how i can get through this?

Last edited:

cyjeff

What happened to your friend means nothing.

You ARE a criminal.

I will check further, but I don't believe AL allows an expungement of a conviction.

That leaves gubernatorial or presidential pardon.

have you asked your attorney about the restoration of your rights?

Isis1

I was convicted of a third degree theft in the state of alabama. I was told by my lawyer that once i got off of probation since i didnt have any felony convictions that i would be able to purchase a firearm and get a pistol permit. I then find out when i try to make a handgun purchase that there is a state law that says you cannot own/possess a handgun with any theft conviction whether they are misdeomeoner or felony. I am wanting to know if there is any way i can go through any process that would help me be able to legally purchase a handgun and obtain a pistol permit. I am willing to pay any legal fees to get this done. I know someone that just got off parole for 2 GTA's and a few DUIs and because they were on youthful offender they can get one. I however who is NOT some criminal and trying to go the legal route cannot. Any legal advice on how i can get through this?
you were convicted. you ARE a criminal. :rolleyes:

maybe you should call your lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">