• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alcohol possesion underage, sexual harrassment? Statute of Limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JJK2345

Last Summer in July, some friends and I went to Ocean City Maryland. One morning at 10 AM someone knocking on the door woke me up, I opened the door and to my amazement it was a police officer. The officer looked in the door saw a few beer cans on the table inside and asked if he could look around. Me knowing that there was at least one person there 21, and myself and others were nearly of age, let the officer inside. He looked around, and decided to cite almost everyone there for possession. He asked first who was on the lease to the place, about 6 people said they were. I along with three others were not on the lease, but were there that evening. The officer allowed two girls(not on the lease) to leave but decided to cite me and my friend(also not on the lease). The officer did not cite the 21 year old that was present either. The officer explained to us that we would all recieve notices of trial in the mail, and so forth. He continued to collect our liscenses and take our information.

First Question: Is that considered possesion, while a 21 year old is present?

Second Question: How can an officer choose who he will and will not cite although all are in the same situation

Third Quesion: That was six months ago, and I have not recieved any letter of any sort in the mail, and my information on the citation was and still is correct. What is the statute of limitations on something like this?

Here is one more question...
If and/or when I decide to contact the authorities to ask of the status of my citation, am I out of line to threaten to file a sexual harrassment lawsuit against the Police Dept. based on the fact that two girls were let go on no other basis than their obvious sexuality difference?

CdwJava

Most these questions are very state-specific, so I can't answer them with any degree of certainty.

However ...

JJK2345 said:
Here is one more question...
If and/or when I decide to contact the authorities to ask of the status of my citation, am I out of line to threaten to file a sexual harrassment lawsuit against the Police Dept. based on the fact that two girls were let go on no other basis than their obvious sexuality difference?
The answer is, no.

You are assuming that is the reason.

And even if it were true, their NOT being cited does not in any way absolve you of any liability for your actions. Plus, "sexual harassment" is NOT what you are describing.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">