• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

All they have is Conspiracy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dennis1

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My friend has been in prison since october of 06. he was charged with a hole bunch of drug related stuff, He ran from the cops when they tried to arrest him and he had a gun on him when he was caught that wasnt his. When he went to court almost everything was dropped. The only thing left is conspiracy to sell?

They have kept him in prison based on someone else gettng caught and giving the police his name. That's all they have on him. He wasnt given his trail with his due time.Matter fact several of his rights were violeted. His lawyer never filled anything on his behalf.He hasnt been back to court or even sentenced yet.

I don't know what to do from here. My friend is filing his own motions now. About his rights being violeted. But i need to know can we beat this now. Can they keep him in prison continuing with his trial or sentenceing? Because that's what's happening.

Thank youWhat is the name of your state?

BL

Authorities do not send folks to prison unless they have been convicted of a crime .

Someone's story doesn't add up .

It's a whole bunch , BTW .

What can we do ? You can do nothing .

Raptoer

Your friend isn't really in prison, hes in holding.

You go to prison when you've been convicted. You're in holding when you've been arrested and they need somewhere to put you (this is where people are when they are bailed out).

Probably they either set the bail really high because hes a high risk of running off so he can't pay it, or nobody is out there to pay bail for him.

reggaegirl

Question

If you were arrested for a crime, but it was dismissed and the conviction set aside, does that mean you were never convicted? What exactly does that mean?

Raptoer

here is the path.

Arrest -> holding -> bail -> out of jail, but have arraignment date -> arraignment and plea -> court date -> conviction guilty -> prison
Arrest -> holding -> bail -> out of jail, but have arraignment date -> arraignment and plea -> court date -> not guilty -> free
arrest -> holding -> no bail -> stay in holding -> arraignment and plea -> court ->ect
Arrest -> holding -> bail/no bail -> dismissed

I expect carl to correct me though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">