• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alternative to Jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emandryu

What is the name of your state? NE
I posted earlier (not sure if I was supposed to piggyback on that post) about having 3 charges against me: use of a weapon to commit felony, concealed weapon, and making terroristic threats - all felony charges. I'm trying to prepare for the worse - considering getting a legal guardianship established for my 2 children - I am wondering, can I request at all to have house arrest or community service or probation etc instead of physical jail time? Also, does emotional problems make a difference? We fell on some hard times and I went off (cold turkey) an anti-depressant which I know (now) affected my mood or would that just make it sound that much worse? ($200/month no insurance - I was just trying to save money - I know how stupid it was now...so please don't be mean) Thanks.

garrula lingua

Make arrangements to protect your children in case you are incarcerated.

The issue of house arrest or work release is an issue re sentencing. You can ask for a stipulation to allow such, as a condition of a plea bargain.
In my neck of the woods, that's an issue which the Judge &/or Prosecutor won't put in a plea bargain, as it is up to the jail facility & Probation Dept to decide eligibility and supervision needs. It doesn't hurt to try.

If this is your first 'conviction' you will probably be offered jail & it's usually easiest to just do the jail time- you would probably get good time/work time credit and possibly an early release, which usu isn't available on other programs.

Just prepare for the worst & hope for better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">