• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I immune from being procecuted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Slash101

1. A guy I know is running for District Attorney of the county in which I reside. He is a respected law professor whom is running unopposed. When an arrest is made, or when an individual wants to press charges, the decision of whether or not to pursue charges is in the DA's hands.

The way I know him is that we are both regulars at the same cigar lounge. I have been to a few parties at his house. So, I know him well enough that he won't want to pursue charges against me, but at the same time, the fact that we know each other is not really common knowledge, so no one would know he's showing favoritism.

He's already told me, just don't do anything horrific, or frequent.

So, if I do something minor, like simple assault, or underage drinking, (I'm 20) am I home free?

Oh, and while many prosecuting decisions are made by Assistant DAs, the lead DA always knows of the cases and decisions going on in his office, and he can override his staff's decision on whether a given case is a go or no go.

And again, he's already said, just don't do anything horrific, don't make a habbit getting arrested frequently and don't do anything that would make the headlines. He will take office this May, so if I'm right here, am I in for a hell of a summer?

2. Also worth mentioning, the governor of my state is a friend of my families, as my dad has played golf with him since the governor was on city council. I was invited to the governor's balls for the last three Christmas'. If I get charged with a state crime, and the DA thing doesn't work, can the governor not pardon me?

Mass_Shyster

Your friends may bail you out if it's convenient for them. But they are political creatures, and will throw you under the bus if that's more convenient.

Don't push your luck.

Antigone*

1. A guy I know is running for District Attorney of the county in which I reside. He is a respected law professor whom is running unopposed. When an arrest is made, or when an individual wants to press charges, the decision of whether or not to pursue charges is in the DA's hands.

The way I know him is that we are both regulars at the same cigar lounge. I have been to a few parties at his house. So, I know him well enough that he won't want to pursue charges against me, but at the same time, the fact that we know each other is not really common knowledge, so no one would know he's showing favoritism.

So, if I do something minor, like simple assault, or underage drinking, (I'm 20) am I home free?

Oh, and while many prosecuting decisions are made by Assistant DAs, the lead DA always knows of the cases and decisions going on in his office, and he can override his staff's decision on whether a given case is a go or no go.

And again, he's already said, just don't do anything horrific, don't make a habbit getting arrested frequently and don't do anything that would make the headlines. He will take office this May, so if I'm right here, am I in for a hell of a summer?

2. Also worth mentioning, the governor of my state is a friend of my families, as my dad has played golf with him since the governor was on city council. I was invited to the governor's balls for the last three Christmas'. If I get charged with a state crime, and the DA thing doesn't work, can the governor not pardon me?
Look, stay on the right side of the law and you won't need to be pardoned.:rolleyes: If you think the governor of a state is going to stick his neck out for some kid who doesn't know how to behave, think again:rolleyes:

Isis1

so um. what state is this in?

justalayman

and what is so special about Christmas that you only attend to the governor's balls at that time of year? Why do you not attend to his balls all year round. I mean, if you expect to get favors, you can bet your behind those giving you the favors expect reciprocity.

Beth3

My take on this is that your pal, the future DA, isn't going to give you a free pass but rather he doesn't want to be faced with any awkward decisions and have his office need to prosecute an acquaintance. As a respected law professor, I sincerely doubt he's going to jeopardize his reputation and career by looking the other way just because someone he knows committed a crime. Same goes for the governor - even more so, I expect.

Of course your easiest option is not to commit any crimes. The majority of people go their entire lives without being arrested and charged with a crime.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Didn't like the answers you got on the other forum, huh?

NO. You are not immune from being charged. The answer is not going to change no matter how much forum shopping you do. And the governor has no obligation whatsoever to pardon you if you commit a crime.

Don't commit any crimes and you won't have to worry about either question.

MrJenkins

Didn't like the answers you got on the other forum, huh?

NO. You are not immune from being charged. The answer is not going to change no matter how much forum shopping you do. And the governor has no obligation whatsoever to pardon you if you commit a crime.

Don't commit any crimes and you won't have to worry about either question.
also, I am pretty sure that your friend running for DA and "The Gov" would be highly upset knowing that you're posing these type of questions on the internet. Giving the circumstances surrounding political jobs, you can bet that your IP address can be easily traced to find the state you live in, then these allegations can be brought up. I bet once the controversy heats up and your "friends" find out your big mouth caused the problem, you will no longer need to know the answer to this question as I am sure they will be doing everything they can to discredit you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">