• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Animal Control

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vickotria

My neighbor and received citations a few weeks ago for "animal at large." There are a few questions, though, about this. For starters we do live in a leash law county. However, we live on a private road. Our road is not otherwise county maintained. We pay to have the pavement repaired, have our road plowed in the winter and I know of two seperate instances that the Sheriff would not dispatch someone to come out. Neither one of these instances were necessarily criminal ( I don't know if that would change things or not), but the fact remains that they would not come out. The animal control website for my county even states that they are not responsible for some typical duties when it comes to a private road. However, I cannot find difinitive information about citations for animals at large. Perhaps, to help paint the picture. We live in a rural community without fences and most people have dogs. There are probably 15 houses on this road and maybe 2 or 3 neighbors DO NOT have dogs. The animal control officer said that she just happened to be in the neighborhood and that there were no complaints. Our road does not lead to access to any other roads. Just homes.

My question is: Can she even give us this citation? Is she even supposed to be patroling our road?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">