• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

another neighbor question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lkenn

What is the name of your state? In. we have neighbors who think they need to know about our personal business. my question is: can they use a device to listen to our conversations inside our home? The police say it's ok for them to video us in our yard & listen to our cordless phone conversations, but they are not sure about the "magic ear" (this is a receiver used from the window of there home that can pick up any voices inside our home, even with windows & doors closed).

JETX

"can they use a device to listen to our conversations inside our home?"
*** Yes, but they cannot record what they hear or acquire"the contents of a telephonic or telegraphic communication".

The recording or acquiring of the contents of a telephonic or telegraphic communication by someone who is neither the sender nor the receiver is a felony and can be the basis for civil liability. Ind. Code Ann. §§ 35-33.5-5-4, -5.

Civil liability may require the payment of actual damages, $100 per day for each day of violation or $1,000 — whichever is greater — and punitive damages, court costs and attorney fees. Ind. Code Ann. § 35-33.5-5-4.

L

lkenn

i'll keep this info in mind until i know just how far they have went with things. thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">