• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another shoplifter in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MomToFreddy

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was caught by a store detective lifting a few hundred dolars worth of goods froma store. Since it is more than $150 worth, it's my understanding I would be charged with retail theft misdemeanor first degree. I was told by the detective I would recieve a summons from the magistrate and I might be granted ARD.

Is it true I might qualify for ARD? I have no previous offenses, not even a speeding ticket.

Can I have a defense attorney when appearing before a magistrate?

Can I bring my baby with me to court if I dont have anyone to watch him?

HomeGuru

MomToFreddy said:

I was caught by a store detective lifting a few hundred dolars worth of goods froma store. Since it is more than $150 worth, it's my understanding I would be charged with retail theft misdemeanor first degree. I was told by the detective I would recieve a summons from the magistrate and I might be granted ARD.

Is it true I might qualify for ARD? I have no previous offenses, not even a speeding ticket.

**A: oh brother.

MomToFreddy said:

First off why did you steal if you had a clean record. Second of all NO bringing your baby to court wont help the judge to "FEEL SORRY" for you. What on earth could you have stolen that was worth going to jail, and losing your baby? Reality check please!

MomToFreddy

i don't want the judge to feel sorry for me. I really don't have a babysitter. I take him everywhere.

They'll take my baby? I'm married though, couldn't my husband keep the baby? Am I really going to jail?

I guess I should get an attorney.

Thanks for your mean-spirited replies.

MomToFreddy said:
i don't want the judge to feel sorry for me. I really don't have a babysitter. I take him everywhere.

They'll take my baby? I'm married though, couldn't my husband keep the baby? Am I really going to jail?

I guess I should get an attorney.

Thanks for your mean-spirited replies.
Let your husband watch him.Yes if you go to jail, which I cant say you will or wont, yes I'm sure if he is fit he will get the child. I dont know what will happen to you. No one knows what a judge will say until they say it. Maybe you should have asked yourself all these questions before becoming a thief. You take him everywhere? Did you take him when you were stealing? If not who watched him then?

S

seniorjudge

"Can I bring my baby with me to court if I dont have anyone to watch him?"

No; that's a very good way to irritate the judge. It shows that you do not take this seriously.

JETX

Sounds to me like "Freddy" needs a new mommy... at least one that has morals, ethics and the maturity to properly raise a child.... and to teach him that STEALING is a crime. 'Good people' don't do crimes, 'bad people' do.

Also, based on the PA code, it appears that your theft is an RS-1, which could have a 1 month jail sentence.

And more good news.... you will also get a bill from the store for several hundred dollars to recover their 'damages' due to YOUR being a thief.
'PENNSYLVANIA CIVIL SHOPLIFTING LAW' at Title 42, Pa.C.SA., § 8308,
http://members.aol.com/StatutesP4/42.Cp.83A.html

Last edited:

teddy_86

The comments some of the people have posted here reflect insidious thoughts that are not worth it of "honest people". In other words, I would hire a person who has stolen something from a store in heart beat anyday before I consider having any type of relationship with a person that has the ability to express those thoughts; that's not the kind of people we need in our societies.

I was terrified when I was caught, I understand that is wrong, not worth the consequences; for me, it went from doing something I shouldn't have done to understanding that I committed a crime. Having said that, look up an attorney in your area, you should be able to find attorneys that offer you a free consultation. This attorney will explain to you how you need to proceed. I found the thing about loosing custody of you baby because of a misdemeanor quite stupid; I'll invite this person to enlighten this audience with some cases in your area, which obviously he doesn't know, since the only thing we know is your state. Anyhow, find out the facts and ignore the ignorant, let them be.

JETX

teddy_86 said:
I was terrified when I was caught, I understand that is wrong, not worth the consequences; for me, it went from doing something I shouldn't have done to understanding that I committed a crime.
Awwwww, another 'shoplifter to shoplifter' Kumbaya session. Maybe y'all can start a little recipe club... where you each steal recipes from each other.

MomToFreddy, commentary upon the following quote;

teddy_86 said:
I found the thing about loosing custody of you baby because of a misdemeanor quite stupid; I'll invite this person to enlighten this audience with some cases in your area,...
Of course I would have no way of knowing the law in your area...but I do know judges. When a judge says "30 days in the clink" - guess what? Off to the clink you go.

Unless you have the means to place your child in some form of suspended animation, like having the baby frozen cryogenically for example, the baby will still need silly things like food, shelter, and care. Diapers, clothes, clothes getting cleaned to be used again...shall I go on?

Then there is that suspended animation thing....meaning that the baby, YOUR baby, would still have to be SOMEPLACE even while in suspended animation...because YOUR baby will not be with you if you are in jail.

If I need to, or if anyone else needs to, produce and/or show local case law in order to support this concept then please feel free to say so.

This person, also wishes to be enlightened and does not want to keep feeling this stupid. Do you?

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

MTF, when you go to court, be clean (wash your hair, brush your teeth, comb your hair); dress cleanly and decently; no sunglasses; no smoking; no chewing gum.

I can't give you the statutory details on what you are facing because I do not know.

This is simply common sense stuff.

Not to make you feel any worse than you do, but when you steal, it costs me money and I do not like that.

So, you need to be prepared to show the court that you have realized your mistake and that you will do better.

Anyone who has an infant and risks jail is not going to make a good impression on the judge, I can guarantee that.

There are many courts where a shoplifter routinely go to jail. I do not know if they do that in your area or not.

You also have to remember that thieves are not good employees. (I've had a few thieves for employees so I know what I am talking about.) Thus, you need to get into a job where you will not be around anyone else's property.

Good luck....

JETX said:
Awwwww, another 'shoplifter to shoplifter' Kumbaya session. Maybe y'all can start a little recipe club... where you each steal recipes from each other.
ROFLMAO... :D I almost tinkled on that one

Florid-aise said:
MomToFreddy, commentary upon the following quote;

Of course I would have no way of knowing the law in your area...but I do know judges. When a judge says "30 days in the clink" - guess what? Off to the clink you go.

Unless you have the means to place your child in some form of suspended animation, like having the baby frozen cryogenically for example, the baby will still need silly things like food, shelter, and care. Diapers, clothes, clothes getting cleaned to be used again...shall I go on?

Then there is that suspended animation thing....meaning that the baby, YOUR baby, would still have to be SOMEPLACE even while in suspended animation...because YOUR baby will not be with you if you are in jail.

If I need to, or if anyone else needs to, produce and/or show local case law in order to support this concept then please feel free to say so.

This person, also wishes to be enlightened and does not want to keep feeling this stupid. Do you?
I DID tinkle on that one...j/k....good one Florida.. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">